Hello everyone!
I am really worried and honestly just really tired of being ill all the time.
7 weeks ago I got a sore throat and went to the walk in centre where they said I had tonsillitis and gave me Penicillin to take for 10 days. It was quite bad but the antibiotic started to make me feel better very quick and after 5 or 6 days I stopped taking it (I know I should have finished it, I’ve learned my lesson).
3 weeks ago I got ill with tonsillitis again but this time much worse, I was told it was probably because I didn’t finish the antibiotics the first time and so I got them again. 2 days after starting antibiotics I got much worse and went to a walk in centre who sent me to A&E to see an ENT who diagnosed me with quinsy and I was admitted to stay overnight. The ENT doctor drained my tonsil (he said that pus came out but not much of it) and gave me some intravenous antibiotics and steroids and I went home the next day. I felt better and had 7 more days of penicillin and didn’t miss a dose. After finishing all my antibiotics I noticed that my right tonsill is still very swollen and much bigger than the left but because there was no pain I thought it might just take a little longer to go down.
On Wednesday last week (4 days after finishing antibiotics) my throat started to get a bit dry and painful so I made an appointment with my GP for the next morning, but over a few hours I got suddenly really ill. My tonsils got so close together there was very little space between them, I couldn’t speak, I had terrible chills and high temperature and the pain was terrible. My GP sent me straight to A&E because she thought it may be quinsy again. I was admitted to the hospital again and they tried draining it again but nothing came out this time so I was put on intravenous antibiotics again and steroids to help.
Again it got better quickly and I took home 10 days worth of 2 different antibiotics and an oral rinse to gargle with but as much as I felt a difference quickly then, since leaving the hospital and taking the antibiotics I haven’t seen any improvement, I mean I got better at the hospital to the point where I was well enough to go home etc but since coming home I’m not any better than when i first left the hospital even though I had a few days more lf antibiotics so I would expect to see a difference. My right tonsil is still taking half of my throat although it’s not painful anymore. When I was being discharged the ENT said that I will need a follow up in 4 weeks to make sure there isn’t anything serisous thats causing it and I guess that’s what worries me the most. He did say that he doesn’t think that’s what it is but also that it needs checking.
Sorry for a long post, I’m just looking for any kind of reassurance