Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valium Addiction

Valium Addiction

Hi there, I know that Valium is highly addictive and have read all the things about not taking it for more than 2 weeks etc. My question is because I don't take it every day - about once/twice a week - can this become addictive as I am not taking it every day?

Also does anyone here have to take a fairly large dose to stop a panic attack? My doctor told me to take 2.5mg but I find I need 15mg to calm me down...

Hi Twister,

Ativan is usually the sedative of choice above valium for panic as it seems to hit the spot better.

As regards addictiveness - all of these are addictive in 2 ways either physically - which you won't be doing on the amount you currently take but psychologically you might ie it becoming your safety net and not leaving home without it.
    It's possible that you might slowly increase your dose as the effectiveness diminishes with exposure and habit.
    Try not to rely on it apart from the most extreme episodes but it would be much more beneficial to learn to talk yourself out of a panic attack without meds or just rescue remedy .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

You are right about it being psychologically addictive - I can't leave the house without it now as I need to know it is always there and I'd have a panic attack if I realised I didnt have it with me. I suppose I'll have to start trying to do short journeys without it and build up...

I have been addicted to Valium for over 25 years, and when I was first given them, I was told they were not addictive, so it was just prescription following each other, now, I am on 20mgs and am too afraid to come off them, I have been told they dont work after a certain time, but I know when one is due. I am on 20mgs a day, for years I was on 15mgs, without any antidepressants, and was quite content, When I take one now, I think to myself, HOPE IT WORKS when I am panicky, but it maybe pscycological, but it helps, and unless I carry them in my bag, I dont know what would happen, I find by the evening I have three in me, and they must help somehow, as the evenings are usually my better time. The mornings are the worst. I am told I have been on them too long to get off now, so I just go from day to day. The Citalopram I am now on affects me more than the valium.
    Wish I had never heard of them, but a hospital gave them to me. Blossom

blossom my friend,
    its about time you and ernie had a meeting with your local health authority.
    in my humble oppinion,no one should be on valium 25yrs,its well past its sell by date...its doing absolutely no good to you,physically or mentally.
    ime saying no more for legal reasons...i just hope radar picks up on your post...i have great respect for her views...in the meantime,lots love bryan

RADAR.

Meg, i would love your opinion on diazepam too. I was given some in Nov last year (28 x 2mg ) and told to take them as and when i felt the need. As of today i have probably taken about half the packet.
    To be honest i dont think much of them as they dont seem to work very well but i suspect that this is because i only take a very small dose. Is this correct? My shrink told me to try taking two when i felt anxious and i did that today. It did seem to work a little as i didn't feel as bad as i did 2 hours before taking them but somehow i don't think i am getting the relieve that is touted about these things.
    Most of the panic had gone but i felt somewhat battered and bruised by the anxiety, does that make sense? A bit like being relived of tooth ache by having it pulled out but still feeling sore afterwards.

Should i feel totally normally by taking vallium? how do i know if i should take more or less? I reluctantly started taking this drug after all the bad press it gets but i am starting to wonder why.

Thanks meg

Jon

Jonny.

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

Hey Jonny,

It's great to see people do look back to previous posts .. Thanks .

So roughly speaking in 4 months you've taken 14 tabs.

Most people who take something for a real full monty of a panic need about 4 - 10 mg initially to see a good enough effect. 2 mg for an adult is negligable in panic - can just about take the edge off flying for a 'normal' person. They take up to 15 mins to work if you've a full tummy- by then, the worst of the panic is passing anyway.

That dose will make you drowsy if you're not used to them and a bit muzzy sometimes and a bit out of it for a few hours afterwards. It's best to try and rest/sleep it off rather than keep going . It is after all a tranquilizer - it doesn't stop anything being produced, it relaxes smooth muscle so makes you flop - it doesn't touch what's going on racing around in your head - hopefully helps you not to care as much.

After a panic you still have all those stress chemicals sloshing about and it takes time to work their way out of your body.
    It used to take about 24 hours for me to feel 'right' again , both physically and to come to terms with having
    had another one.

If you really need a 'stop it now' tablet - Xanax is the one but it's far more addictive than valium, both chemically and as a crutch. I didn't dare start on them as I knew it would take my focus off trying to overcome the panics.
    I conned someone into giving me 2 - one I took to see the effect , the other I carried round till it went out of date. Always take half what you're prescribed , you can take the other half if needs be but can't reverse what you've already taken.

In the USA they hand them out like sweeties but here the docs are far more cautious.

Anyone else got any experiences to share ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jonny

I was given 10 3 years ago and still have about 4 left. That is how often I used them. I took them when I went on the "flying with confidence" course. Well I took half of one (so 1mg). It worked for me - the doc laughed when I told him cos he said that 1mg wouldn't even touch the anxiety but it worked for me so who cares.

Not taken one for over 18 months now cos I daren't. I occasionally take Losec (Meg knows what that is) and it specifically mentions not to be taken with diazepam. I now daren't take them cos of the blood pressure medication I am on.

I used to take 1/2 at work when I got really bad and it helped in 10-15 minutes but yes I did feel tired with it.

The doc put them back on repeat prescription for me but I haven't needed to get them since.

Jon - ask the doc what dose he would recommend for panic but be careful with them ok?

Nicola

Hiya,

I'm not on valium myself but my mum has been on them for over 20 years!

I am led to believe they are very addictive and you can only come of them with the aid of your doctor and a good 'step down' course. Pls no-one (like all meds) try and come off them yourself cold turkey

I'm also led to believe doctors are off different opinions #
    ie - some doctors will try and get you off valium after 20 years whereas some really don't think it is beneficial

I may be wrong!

Lucky

Although I dont really take them anymore I have to take about 20mg to cope with a panic attack. I also take about 20mg and lots of wine if I have to fly - lol

10mg I dont even notice. They make me feel really relaxed and happy -like a bit drunk and chilled

Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information