Thread: Reacting to unknown things

Reacting to unknown things

Hey,

I've had some pretty weird reactions to my anxiety and depression that I can't relate to, connect to or understand in any way.

Sometimes, when I see a picture, a few seconds on the TV, read a paragraph in the newspaper, it triggers a reaction in me. Either I get a lump in my throat (as in, on the verge of crying), or I get gripped by massive panic, nervousness or anxiety for a split second. Then it's all gone - or sometimes leaves me freaked out or a bit short of breath, as is natural, these things do scare me.

In the beginning I always told myself to try and remember to go back and find out what the trigger is, but I always forget these things when I'm in a troubled state of mind - I'm sure I'm not the only one. With time I've remembered some times, but the images I've seen or the texts I've read have never made sense and I have no reaction the second time I see it.

I haven't had these in a while now, but I still wonder what they are and if anybody have had the same experience.

Re: Reacting to unknown things

Hello Chris,

For a while, when I was really bad, I couldn't even watch the news or read a newspaper or even watch a film for fear of it heralding the most overwhelming fear within me.

So, I avoided all news items of war, violence, and cruelty and only watched banal tv programmes - if something came on, say, the news that I found myself reacting to then I'd have to either switch the tv off or leave the room. The memory of the incident or clip would remain in my mind and play over and over again.

I just couldn't cope with the responsibilty of having these things on my mind even for a second, so I avoided subjecting myself to them until I felt strong enough to handle it.Gradually, bit by bit I returned to 'normal' and can watch the news now with concern yes, but not overwhelming irrational fear.

Take care

I can completely understand reactions to war and violence. But this has been so very random - sometimes I've looked back at my reactions and I've been panicking out of just seeing a seemingly harmless ad or movie clip or reading a quite uninteresting story in the newspaper.

I've spent a lot of my time in politics, and abruptly put, we deal in conflict. I don't react to that at all. Well, I do react with empathy and concern (which is tough enough, at times), but it never grips me with anxiety, fear of anything happening to myself, or panic. Just... random stuff, and I can't explain it.

Thanks for sharing

I went through a stage at the beginning of my anxiety last year that I could not read newspapers, I could not read the death notices and I love real life medical programs on tv and I couldn't stand to watch them. If I did it would send me into panic and anxiety would go through the roof.

I started to think that this was getting ridiculous and I forced myself to read the paper, the death notices and medical programs. I also did have some help from counselling changing my thoughts to knowing that there was nothing seriously wrong with me.

Deb

Hi Chris,

When I was acute I had this too, it is very strange, but anxiety IS strange.

What I think for me is, I was on alert all the time, my mind was in flight, fight response, so I was on the lookout for danger all the time. My mind was looking for the least little thing or reaction in my emotions.

Don't forget when we are in this mode, (flight, fight) our sensers are higher than nomral, we have five sencers and they are all on alert for danger. We DO NOT have to be in full blown panic, to be in the flight, fight response. (Looking for danger)

All human beings have emotions, even if its just looking at a pic or reading a newpaper, that fact is, when in this mode people with anxiety notice there feelings more, so this will trigger there anxiety levels to go higher, people who don't suffer anxiety, don't even notice any little changers in there emotions, but anxiety people do, and questions WHY, in turn, this may trigger highter anxeity. this all happens in a split second. The lack of understaning, why this is happening, triggers more anxiety.

I was like GG, I did avoid news and reading news papers, (all bad news anyway) and horror movie's, ohhhh they were a NO, NO.

I think that for some anxiety suffer's, this is a stange they go through, but come out the other side.

Chris, you say you have not had this in awhile, thats great new's, this says you are moving forward, WELL DONE.

This explanation, is what I gave to myself, I did at the time NEED a good enough reason why this was happening, something that would help me get through that time and this explanation was good enough for me. I tried dame hard to look more on the good things in life, happy things, whacting feel good movie's and reading positive thingsand kept telling myself it will pass, it will pass ,AND IT DID.

Not sure if his has been of any help at all, not very good at explaining things, but it helped me move forward. Maybe its been of some help, just knowing that you are not alone.

You take care

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Thanks, that was actually very helpful. Anything that helps me understand my behavior brings me closer to living with it.

Hi Chris,

As I said, it is hard for me to explain things, but, when I first joined this site, I tried to read, all past threads, there are lots of great information in them, they helped me understand things more.

It still baffles me at time's, just how powerfull are minds are and what our minds can do to our bodys, BUT, it IS true, the mind is a very powerfull thing, my thoughts where at the time, it got me into this mess, it can also get me out of it.

You keep looking, keep searching, keep reading, think positive, see yourself better.

This one helps, have you read it?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=coping

You take care

LOVE JILLXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

So odd that I would read this post tonight..Im usually the most laid back things dont bother me guy ..well up until the last two years..Now the smallest thing can set me into panic and massive panic attack..things that I would have used to have just shrugged off. I havent watched television in almost two years..and never ever read the news.

Im a retired computer tech and well.. even when i get a gliche in my computer my heart almost stops and its sets me into a panic..so odd..I used to would have just been excitied about finding the fix..now it bothers me and although i would put me against almost any tech in the world..I get worried..

Things trigger saddness even looking outside to a world that most would love to enjoy it looks like a barren desert on a barren planet to me..Although I can't seem to find the joy and zest for living i once did,although im better off financially than I have ever been.

I struggled all my life and finally made it to where I dont have to and the phraze from the bible my mother used to quote to me .. keeps ringing in my ears and dont know why.. "what if you were to gain the whole world and lose your own soul?" why do I constantly feel that or hear it in my mind..

I have gotten to a level I dont have to worry about finances yet im not even happy about the simple things in life anymore.It takes a major act of something spontanious and hap hazardly to make me laugh or smile..

So I know exactly maybe better than you that feeling.It happens.. and well I suppose we just have to learn to relax i guess.. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by chris-t-o View Post
    Hey,

I've had some pretty weird reactions to my anxiety and depression that I can't relate to, connect to or understand in any way.

Sometimes, when I see a picture, a few seconds on the TV, read a paragraph in the newspaper, it triggers a reaction in me. Either I get a lump in my throat (as in, on the verge of crying), or I get gripped by massive panic, nervousness or anxiety for a split second. Then it's all gone - or sometimes leaves me freaked out or a bit short of breath, as is natural, these things do scare me.

In the beginning I always told myself to try and remember to go back and find out what the trigger is, but I always forget these things when I'm in a troubled state of mind - I'm sure I'm not the only one. With time I've remembered some times, but the images I've seen or the texts I've read have never made sense and I have no reaction the second time I see it.

I haven't had these in a while now, but I still wonder what they are and if anybody have had the same experience.

Thread Information