Thread: Scared to start taking Sertraline (or any ssri)

Scared to start taking Sertraline (or any ssri)

I don't know if this should be merged with another thread, I've seen several Sertraline threads in the past but haven't looked at them since I'm not on anything (yet). Mods feel free to move if needed.

So I have had a vestibular problem for 3 months now that is really causing a ton of HA for me. I finally got MRI results back today from the neuro that clears anything serious, but sensing my anxiety, she prescribed me some Sertraline/Zoloft. She says it is used to treat anxiety and to treat vestibular dysfunction, so it should be a win-win.

Problem is, I'm extremely reluctant to start an SSRI. Until this vestibular problem, CBT alone has been enough. I see the potential side effects, like suicidal thoughts, sexual dysfunction, that obviously sound horrific, and a lot of the more common difficult side effects, like headaches, etc that take a couple weeks to get over. Plus the fact this is a point of no return, I can't start for a couple daya and then stop, right? I feel like I'd rather have the devil I know (dizzy feelings, fatigue, and anxiety) than the devil I don't...

Bur both the neurologist and my GP I called today think this is the way to go. Since it takes weeks for any improvement in anxiety, and bad symptoms hit, I worry that this will make me worse with HA, I already obsess over every symptom now. Any advice from people who are/have taken it?

Maybe I'm fooling myself but I feel like with more vestibular rehab and if I really give myself 100% consistent care to be calm - exercise, meditation, no more googling, etc, I can get back to a stable anxiety level w/o meds... Maybe I'll give it another week or two before starting.

It's a 25mg start, with a plan to increase to 50 after awhile. I got a liquid since I'm also pill-swallow-phobic, maybe I should start even lower as a tryout, like 10 or 15mg?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I recognize that not everyone handles a med the same of course.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Re: Scared to start taking Sertraline (or any ssri)

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Scared to start taking Sertraline (or any ssri)

It's not the point of no return though as there may be other meds or combinations that you can try to get the effect of an antidepressant as well as for your health condition. And yes you can just stop them after a few days if there was a problem, there will be no withdrawal from that as you hadn't even adjusted to the med at that point so would still be experiencing any side effects (if you have any) from starting them.

I agree with you on the natural approach as meds can be a minefield but if the time comes that you need support from meds then they are worth consideration. They are a bit of an unknown and until you try them you won't be able to determine whether they help or hinder. And the side effects can be hard to get through but it's a matter of getting into a mindset of hanging on each day and taking things one hour at a time. An increase in your anxiety is very possible which will knock onto your anxiety symptoms but this won't last and once you get through them you can start to watch for signs of help from them.

Starting on minimum therapeutic doses can mean more issues with side effects than starting at say a half dose and building up. The latter can be easier as your body adjusts in smaller stages but it does extend the time it takes to get help from them.

If side effects just get too much speak to your doctor to see if they need to switch you or withdraw them. Not all are suited to everyone but beware of reacting too soon to side effects as we can get used to tolerating them once over the initial fear of them.

Thread Information