Thread: Would a CT scan show if I have something serious going on?

Would a CT scan show if I have something serious going on?

Would LOVE if someone could take the time to read this...

The past couple of months have been crazy. I started out with some palpatations that were diagnosed as PVCS. After some bloodwork I ended up having high red blood count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, albumin, protein, and calcium. The rbc, hgb, hematocrit, albumin, and calcium have gone back to normal but my protein is always high. I keep seeing its sign of inflammatory process or cancer. The high calcium was def a bad sign but its since gone down.
    During this time my hair starts falling out like crazy and I've lost some weight. I'm still eating the same (not very healthy). I start getting swollen lymph nodes in my neck, behind ear and supraclavicular node. The doctors have not once been concerned. I basically demanded a surgeon take out my supraclavicular node because I was so concerned something was going on. Particularly lymphoma. I also demanded my doc order a CT scan. The supraclavicular node came back benign. No sign of cancer. This was an excisional biopsy so very accurate. However, my ct scan done of my chest-abdomen- pelvis showed nothing other than a 2 cm ovarian cyst that was going away. BUT I did have some swollen mesenteric lymph nodes ( 9mm), retroperitoneal lymph nodes (1.2 cm) and inguinal (1 cm). I also had an elevated CRP rate and sed rate. Barely elevated though. The CT scan showed remarkable besides those enlarged nodes. I'm at a LOSS at what is going on. The CT scan said to follow up in 3 months but I do not want to wait that long if something is going on. Apparently retroperitoneal lymph node swelling is not normal (According to google). I still have swollen lymph nodes in neck and ear that have been there for a couple of months. I got scared that maybe the swollen nodes were possibly mestatic ovarian cancer so I went to obgyn and she didn't seem concerned but she said she would order an ultrasound for me.
    I'm so scared that something is going on but the doctors are not listening. I have swollen lymph nodes in random spots, losing weight, hair falling out, weight loss, and constant high protein. I did have a high wbc count and neutrophils but that went back down as well. I tested negative for mono and negative ANA.

So with that being said, if the CT scan didn't show anything more than a few swollen lymph nodes, and to f/u in 3 months..should I be freaking out? If it was something serious, the CT probably would have picked up on it, right? I'm scared I have some sort of cancer and it's going to be one of those stories where the person keeps getting turned away because of young age and by the time the cancer was found the person had stage 4....ugh. I hate living like this its driving me crazy.

Re: Would a CT scan show if I have something serious going on?

Respectfully, as a Stage IV Head and Neck cancer survivor, I would have given my left nut to have all the NORMAL results you've had! My CT showed a truly "swollen" node/mass in my neck in the 3+CM range. The PET scan showed cancer as did the FNAB I had prior. By the time I went into surgery, it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck. They removed two 5+cm cancerous nodes/tumors.

You claim 1.2cm is swollen. 1.2cm is not "enlarged". It's actually normal, especially for a groin node. They're only "swollen" due to your perception and as a way to validate your fear. I'm wondering how the heck you got the doctor to do a biopsy in the first place unless he saw it as a way way to make some easy $$ as he knew he wouldn't find anything. Perhaps he thought it would put an end to your fears? (which it obviously hasn't).

There's obviously something going on concerning the blood work but IMO, it's not the cancer you fear. To answer your question... YES, the CT would have shown anything of concern. That is fact. You have a followup scheduled and that's just good CYA (cover your arse) medicine.

You said some of the blood work came out on the high side. How much higher? Are we talking a a little bit or off the scales? The high protein could be something as simple as not being hydrated enough. You don't eat healthy and that suggests readings being off as well. Again, if the doctors weren't concerned?.......

Finally, you're posting on an anxiety forum so that suggests, after having several medical professionals finding nothing physical going on, that deep down you know what the real issue is.

I hope you find the answers you seek that will help you.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 05-05-18 at 17:00.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi CT scans are highly accurate, so yes if there was something bad it would have shown up And a bit of reassurance for you, no you shouldn't be freaking out This is your HA telling you lies. ATB

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it. So the general surgeon originally said there was no need to do a biopsy, then when I saw the swollen nodes come up on CT scan I basically came back and asked her to please biopsy so I could get some answers. She did. The supraclavicular node actually came back bigger than I thought too. It was about 1.3 cm. I know a lot of this is fueled by my anxiety. TBH if the CT scan wouldn't have shown all the other swollen nodes, I'd probably be back to normal. However since it wants me to repeat in 3 months, I feel like the next 3 months will be hell worrying about what they may find. I'm trying to calm down though. My bloodwork has now all gone back to normal, except protein. But its all slightly elevated and nothing is through the roof. Going to try and calm down now....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Respectfully, as a Stage IV Head and Neck cancer survivor, I would have given my left nut to have all the NORMAL results you've had! My CT showed a truly "swollen" node/mass in my neck in the 3+CM range. The PET scan showed cancer as did the FNAB I had prior. By the time I went into surgery, it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck. They removed two 5+cm cancerous nodes/tumors.

You claim 1.2cm is swollen. 1.2cm is not "enlarged". It's actually normal, especially for a groin node. They're only "swollen" due to your perception and as a way to validate your fear. I'm wondering how the heck you got the doctor to do a biopsy in the first place unless he saw it as a way way to make some easy $$ as he knew he wouldn't find anything. Perhaps he thought it would put an end to your fears? (which it obviously hasn't).

There's obviously something going on concerning the blood work but IMO, it's not the cancer you fear. To answer your question... YES, the CT would have shown anything of concern. That is fact. You have a followup scheduled and that's just good CYA (cover your arse) medicine.

You said some of the blood work came out on the high side. How much higher? Are we talking a a little bit or off the scales? The high protein could be something as simple as not being hydrated enough. You don't eat healthy and that suggests readings being off as well. Again, if the doctors weren't concerned?.......

Finally, you're posting on an anxiety forum so that suggests, after having several medical professionals finding nothing physical going on, that deep down you know what the real issue is.

I hope you find the answers you seek that will help you.

Positive thoughts

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Thank you. I do appreciate your input.

QUOTE=Bigboyuk;1790354]Hi CT scans are highly accurate, so yes if there was something bad it would have shown up And a bit of reassurance for you, no you shouldn't be freaking out This is your HA telling you lies. ATB[/QUOTE]

Thread Information