Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Stepped on dead roadkill and my shoe then scratched my leg

I Stepped on dead roadkill and my shoe then scratched my leg

I was walking outside and I see this black flattened thing on the road that kinda resembles a rat.. I stepped on it and my shoe swiped my bare leg..
    I have severe health anxiety and I'm freaking out about the diseases I just contracted..
    Am I being irrational or do I go to the ER

HANTA DISEASE???
    RABIES???

Re: I Stepped on dead roadkill and my shoe then scratched my leg

Am I being irrational or do I go to the ER
    You are being entirely irrational. No you don't go to ER.

So, it was dead roadkill rather than alive roadkill? Sorry couldn't resist.

Dead roadkill... oops

You go home and wash your leg and do NOT go to the ER. What could they even do for you? (The answer is nothing).

Do you have any strategies for talking yourself down from panic?

I honestly can't believe you would go to ER because 'maybe' your shoe maybe touched roadkill (you don't actually know it was, but it was a flattened black thing that resembled a rat) and then maybe touched your skin. I think that would be an astounding waste of their time, and take up the space needed by sick and injured people. As the poster above said - what would or could they do about something that is just a perceived threat you have created? (apart from throw you out)

You do know that all around us all the time are bacteria, viruses and various germs, mould, spores, and bits and bobs that are in the soil, in the air, in our food and everywhere. We encounter them all the time and our body deals with them. Infact it is dangerous to avoid living life contacting things with 'germs' as you need to give your body a chance to build immunity to things. I know of someone who had serious issues with the thought of 'infection' and took steps to sterilise everything, practically living in one room with OCD steps taken to avoid anyone who wasn't 100 percent well. When he did encounter a standard cold virus he was terribly awfully ill, and got a secondary infection...more so than any other person - he hadn't allowed his body the ability to deal with illness of 'germs'. Its an anecdote, but there is plenty of scientific evidence to prove that children need to experience bacteria and other things in order to develop in a healthy way. Oh and also, your skin PROTECTS you. Our bodies have loads of mechanisms for protecting us, they are deigned to do so, but the skin (as our largest organ) does a pretty damned good job of it. You are imagining you are constantly under seige, and you just aren't.

HANTA DISEASE???
    RABIES???
    These are your current obsessive fears, and of no relevance to this situation. Unless you scraped a mouldy maggoty rodent off the road which died from some hideous disease and then rubbed it into a large open cut on your leg for 20 minutes, then there is nothing to worry about. Infact, even if you had done that, its more than likely nothing to worry about after giving the cut a good wash and spray with antispectic.
    Last edited by Carys; 05-05-18 at 20:45.

As long as you don't use the shoe for some strange self-gratification ritual, you'll be fine

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinor762 View Post
    Dead roadkill... oops
    Sorry you need serious help with your HA that's all iam saying dude ATB

Do you guys think I'm being irrational if..

I was doing a workout kinda.
    My arms were above the bar and basically I made my legs go up and down (straight) so my body could end up in a 90 degree where my body was upright and my legs would be infront of me and my arms were also upright holding onto the bar (whole arm was below bar).
    MY CHEST HURT AND WHAT IF I BROKE A RIB BONE OR SOMETHING AND I PUNCTURED MY LUNG AND MY LUNGS WILL COLLAPSE AND I DIE???
    It doesn't hurt now but what if...

My arms were above the bar and basically I made my legs go up and down (straight) so my body could end up in a 90 degree where my body was upright and my legs would be infront of me and my arms were also upright holding onto the bar (whole arm was below bar).
    MY CHEST HURT AND WHAT IF I BROKE A RIB BONE OR SOMETHING AND I PUNCTURED MY LUNG AND MY LUNGS WILL COLLAPSE AND I DIE???
    Well, for one, respectfully, you wouldn't be posting totally irrational fears like this. I guess we'll know if we don't see you post again

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Respectfully could you answer my question about getting help for your HA what are doing about it???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information