Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the horrendous fear of MS?

Why the horrendous fear of MS?

So, I am asking a legitimate question from the perspective of someone who has never had a fear of MS, even though, as many others, I have had a ton of the symptoms that are similar between anxiety and MS.

But my question is, why is everyone so deathly afraid of MS? I have a couple friends who have it, and I know a good many acquaintances who do as well. Literally none of them are suffering that terribly with it. I mean, I know it isn't a walk in the park, and they certainly have some issues, but it is far from the worse medical malady one can be afflicted with. I also understand there are different severities of MS, but statistically speaking, MS doesn't even have much of an impact on longevity. While it can cause disability, most people with MS live the same average life span as those who do not.

Unless I am missing something, I really don't understand the spun up fear around MS, especially in this day and age when there are so many excellent medications to help with it.

Re: Why the horrendous fear of MS?

I've always wondered this too.

People die with MS not because of MS. As far as neurological disorders go, it's probably one of the better ones to have.

I am not a MS worrier, but I *get* it.

I had a friend in HS whose mom had MS and she was completely debilitated by it. She was wheelchair bound and house bound and died very young. She missed out on A LOT of my friend's life.

It's really no different than cancer fearing. Cancer, when caught at stage 1, is curable for a good percentage of the people who get it BUT cancer worry isn't really about that cancer experience. It's about the worst case, advanced and terminal cancer scenario. Unfortunately, you can't know which "illness" you're going to get- the controllable one or the uncontrollable one that takes you out early. It's all about the penchant for catastrophizing and the uncertainty of it all.

Is it any different than any other fear here? People freak out about colds for goodness sakes.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I know 4 people with MS. One of them was born with it. The other 3 developed it in their 20s or 30s. It has a devastating affect on some people’s lives. As Fish said people fear getting the flu so what’s so surprising about people fearing a neurological disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    I know 4 people with MS. One of them was born with it. The other 3 developed it in their 20s or 30s. It has a devastating affect on some people’s lives. As Fish said people fear getting the flu so what’s so surprising about people fearing a neurological disorder?
    Very fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Is it any different than any other fear here? People freak out about colds for goodness sakes.

Positive thoughts
    People are definitely a lot more jumpy on here than they were on AZ

Some of the road kill threads blow my mind.

I agree with you OP, and I think what you are saying is a very good challenge to the fears that people have about certain conditions. The reality of living with something is often not the hideouness that people create in their minds. My Uncle had very severe MS, he was entirely disabled at the end of life, but even he lived a normal life span. I know two other people with MS, which is mild, and in this last decade (although there have been medical issues raised for them and issues that they have to deal with and adapt to) they are fine and well.

Its all very well saying 'well things are irrational', but challenging how rational those fears are is a good thing to do about everything that people waste their lives worrying about.

I also know people who have a diagnosis of MS and live a normal life. I even know someone who has had ALS for fifteen years. For me, I have not feared MS much in recent years for this very reason. I worry about it more as o get older, because if you're diagnosed over 40, the chances of having the more severe kind is increased.

My mum has MS. She was diagnosed in her late 40s is now 64 (today actually!). She's coped well with it over the years. She has a very determined personality which helps. However, it would be a lie to say it didn't completely change her life. Her cognitive functions declined sharply. She lost the ability to do strenuous activities. She can't walk far. She's a very nervous driver.

None of this is life threatening and, as I said, she copes well. But I can understand the fear of having your life fundamentally altered. MS comes in many different shapes and sizes. Some people end up in wheelchairs. In rare but severe cases, I can lead to locked-in syndrome. Fortunately, most people won't experience that.

I'm just saying I can understand the fear. I've been there myself. Personally, I know it's not that common and it's not hereditary, so I'm no longer concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information