Thread: Persistent feelings of unreality for the past 3 days

Persistent feelings of unreality for the past 3 days

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might have some advice or reassuring words. I have had a lot of small victories over my panic disorder lately. I have gone to the movies, the mall, stayed at work without needing to escape, and gone on errands.

I don't know if it is a setback trying to get me down or what, but for the past three days, I have really struggled with feelings of unreality/depersonalization. I woke up and it was consuming this morning. I am also having numbness and tingling with it. The numbness is mostly in my legs, face, groin, and occasionally my arm

I hate this feeling so much - I feel like I am either dying or going crazy. It's like I'm not "me" and everything around me feels so weird. I am fighting off the urge to go to the ER but I know they won't be able to do anything anyways. It's just so scary.

Does anyone have any tips for this, or insight as to why this is occurring so suddenly and strongly now? My other anxiety symptoms aren't being so pervasive - no palpitations, no breathlessness, just some slight chest tightness. It's the DP that is consuming me right now and it's my most frightening anxiety symptom by far.

Thanks so much for any help - even typing up this post felt extremely weird.

ETA: I wanted to add in that I recently came off Klonopin after being on it for about 4-5 weeks. I took my last pill on Wednesday (my doctor tapered me to a half dose for a week) and this persistent DP started Friday. Is it possible that I am experiencing some form of withdrawal even though I was not on it for very long? I was taking 1mg a day (.5mg twice a day) for the initial month or so, and then just .5mg a day for the last week.
    Last edited by EmmaSwan; 06-05-18 at 19:31. Reason: Wanted to add Klonopin info

Re: Persistent feelings of unreality for the past 3 days

I've felt the way you're feeling right now many times. It's highly likely that you're experiencing Klonopin withdrawal. Your mind is probably resisting the change and it needs time to adapt, just like your body does. I do believe that you'll settle soon and that the DP will become less intense.

Spend time with people, really engage in conversations with them, try something like physical exercise and mindfulness. Keep telling yourself that you cannot disappear and/or go crazy. It's just anxiety telling you you can't be off medication, and you need to prove it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    I've felt the way you're feeling right now many times. It's highly likely that you're experiencing Klonopin withdrawal. Your mind is probably resisting the change and it needs time to adapt, just like your body does. I do believe that you'll settle soon and that the DP will become less intense.

Spend time with people, really engage in conversations with them, try something like physical exercise and mindfulness. Keep telling yourself that you cannot disappear and/or go crazy. It's just anxiety telling you you can't be off medication, and you need to prove it wrong.
    Thank you so much, Ana dear As strange as it sounds, I am almost hoping it is Klonopin withdrawal because.. well, at least I can put a reason to this madness. DP has always been my most frightening symptom of panic and anxiety, and I hate that it's what decided to rear its ugly head.

I have been a little nervous to exercise while feeling this way but I am going to try and say "whatever!" to those fears and do it anyways. Everything I have read (your words included) indicate it will help me through this feeling and this time.

DP has always been the most frightening symptom for me, too. I think it's most likely the withdrawal, due mainly to the psychological instead of physiological reasons. Exercise really will help you as it'll give you a way to channel your anxiety into something positive.
    Take care

Thread Information