Thread: When did your Side Effects go away?

When did your Side Effects go away?

Hello!

I have been on 20mg of Fluoxetine for 22 days now and am experience many of the common, and perhaps not so common, side effects. I was prescribed it for health anxiety and maybe a little OCD. Everyone has been great here and I think the entire forum, including the Timeline to Recovery sticky, has been very helpful. This is my first time on any SSRI.

I was wondering if people would offer up when they noticed their side effects subside? Perhaps it's one of those days where encouragement is all that's needed to trek forward.

Some of the side effects I notice:

1. Nausea. (Really bad the first 18 days, but might be subsiding finally. I also have GERD, tho).
    2. Headache. (Comes and goes. Still have it most days.)
    3. Insomnia. I typically sleep 4 hours each night, with the help of ambien. Predictably I wake up at 3-4 AM every night.
    4. Restlessness. Especially my legs. Some nights are really bad.
    5. Dry Mouth.
    6. Loss of appetite w/ weight loss. It's coming back, though. I think.

Other symptoms I have that may not be caused by Flu:

1. Muscle aches and twitching? Perhaps this is lack of sleep, anxiety.
    2. Vision? Not blurry vision, but hard to focus/concentrate? Hard to describe.
    3. Sinus pressure (ear popping?). I am almost certain this is my seasonal allergies, but I usually get the common symptoms beforehand, itchy eyes & sneezing.

I would be interested to hear back from others. I know I am just at the 3 week mark, so it can take a couple more weeks. I have had moments where I feel "good" or less anxious.

I appreciate anyone's feedback.

Have a good day!

Re: When did your Side Effects go away?

Hello The Hound!

I used to be on Prozac and Temesta (French variety of medication so I'm not sure what it translates to). I was on 30mgs I believe, and similarly to you, I experienced a range of side effects including appetite and weight loss, insomnia, nausea and sinus problems. I also had headaches but those are due to chronic migraines.
    I waited out the symptoms which eventually got better by their own (approximately 4 months), but also with the help of homeopathic pills for sleep.
    Hope this helps...
    Wishing you well!

Thanks for the reply!

It's good to hear other peoples experiences and testimonies. That alone can often give you the encouragement you need to go through the day.

I have had moments where I feel calm or "good", like I said, but it can still be discouraging with the crazy side effects.

My girlfriend and GP keep telling me it's only been just over three weeks. Give it another three to four weeks.

Thanks again.

I found that the side effects from 20 mg went away after about 4 weeks. I have now been moved up to 30mg (1 week) and wondering what might happen!

Out of interest does anyone think 30mg is worth it or should I just go straight for 40 mg?

Thread Information