Thread: Could my heart have changed now?

Could my heart have changed now?

I now this may sound a bit stupid...

but I had a lot of heart related tests done when I was around 20 years old, I'm 31 now. I was suffering from severe palpitations.

I had an echo, countless ECG's, blood tests, 24hr Monitors... and nothing ever was found.

Anyway, the palpitations got worse again last year and I had another 24hr monitor on, again, nothing was found.

They're bad again at the moment and I'm worried my heart could have deteriorated in some way. I'm not sleeping and when I do, I wake up in the middle of night with my heart racing. I'm scared of going to sleep. I'm really suffering at the moment but my doctor can't really do anymore.
    I went to the gym the other night and it only made things worse.

I'm not really after advice, I don't know what I need to be honest, I guess I needed to get it off my chest (no pun intended.)

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Re: Could my heart have changed now?

I think you just have to base response to this situation on your two previous episodes of this happening. First time, scared you, there was nothing at all found in the many tests. Second time, scared you, tests again and nothing found. So, this time.....from your past experiences....its the same as the other twice and so..... I think you are going to have to accept that now and again this reaction to stress and anxiety will arise. It isn't dangerous, (what type of palpitations are you referring to here - ectopic heart beats?), and your heart was and is strong.

Thank you so much. I just want to have a good night's sleep and not be terrified.

I just want to have a good night's sleep and not be terrified.
    I know....a lack of sleep can make everything SO much worse. Trouble is, being terrified causes you not to sleep and then you get caught in a cycle. I bet that once you do get to sleep, your heart settles down nicely into a calm, steady beat.
    I wake up in the middle of night with my heart racing
    It s more than likely not your heart racing that wakes you up, infact I'd put money on it. It is probably an instant adrenaline rush and fear that causes sudden racing when you wake up.This is your heart doing what it is meant to, reacting to a perceived threat. The threat of course is a mental one, and doesn't exist in reality. How many nights have you had poor sleep for ?

They feel like flutters, irregular beats and skipped beats. I can feel it fluttering in my chest and neck when I lie down.
    I feel like the heart racing has woke me up, because sometimes I don't fully wake up, I can just feel my heart racing away...in and out of my sleep.
    I haven't had any proper sleep for weeks now. :(

So, what is termed 'ectopic beats' - where it half misses one and then does a few fast ones to catch up ?

Yes...
    I did a silly thing last night and went out for a few drinks, I didn't feel well but thought it might help...it didn't...I feel a thousand times worse :( Alcohol and anxiety don't mix :(

Heard that said a few times on here before.

Just as a note, a consultant called Dr Sanjay Gupta does alot of videos on heart worries on youtube, great guy. I remember him saying that your heart would not deteriorate unless you were having 20,000+ ectopics a DAY. In which case you would definitely know about it.

Thread Information