Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: THIS IS REALLY HELPING ME (pleasse read)

Re: THIS IS REALLY HELPING ME (pleasse read)

Mirry,
    Quick question? Do you have ridges in your fingernails? I'll tell you why I asked that question in a little bit.

I do have slight ones on my thumbs and big toes ,lol.

What do they mean ?

I used to drink 2 litres a day cos I was dieting and it never helped. Maybe you have found something psychological that helps you in some way.

If it does then well done and stick at it!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Just curious about the ridges. I have them too. (Some say finger nail ridges and low iron are connected.) I was tested and I am low iron..... I have had pretty severe fatique and the iron is helping that. It's really not important Mirry. I just wondered if anyone else had ridges on their nails too.

Even if we drink a lot of water and we eat really high sodium, (unfortunately the American diet is reeealy high in sodium) we can still be dehydrated due to high salt foods, alcohol, chocolate, coffee etc..etc... Hey if water works, and it does for me, I'm happy!

Gotta get back to work guys. Thanks for letting me stop in. We are getting ready to leave on vacation, so it will be a while before I am back on the No More Panic site.

Good job you guys. This is a great site. I will recommend it. See ya.

I have always been a very 'thirsty' person, I just always felt the need to drink lots of water and always have. Then I got panic and gad when I was a teenager and was put on anti depressants. The anti depressant caused the common side effect of dry mouth so I began drinking even more water. I estimate that I drink about 4 litres of water a day, more in hot weather. My panic attacks and general anxiety disorder have been relentless for the past 20 years. So I think this thing about drinking lots of water is like a lot of things, it works for some people but not for others. It certainly doesn't work for me

I agree with Nic that it may be psychological in some people too.

But to those it does work for, you are lucky and well done for figuring out the connection.

Ellen

so far its seems to have stopped my anxiety turning into a full blown panic attack, but I still am suffering high anxiety, I keep feeling like its going to happen but its not getting off the ground.
    Doctors do reccomend drinking more when you have panic attacks , so there must be something in it, I believe it just takes the edge off them , Im not sure its a cure , Id need to give it alot more time to say that.
    Ive notised when i drink plenty , my head dosent seem so foggy , its like I feel more awake. If it helps 10% then its got to be worth it.

I agree that drinking plenty of water is a good thing.

To say that drinking water and staying hydrated will fend off panic attacks is a step too far in my opinion.

The biggest adrenaline producer for people suffering panic is negative thought patterns.

I think that what you have found is your "safe place". If you believe that drinking water will stop a panic then the chances are it will.........BECAUSE YOU HAVE RELAXED YOUR THOUGHTS TOWARDS IT.

Drinking the water would not re-hydrate you in a minute or less. It's your attitude that has changed. You think.............."I've drunk my water now, I will be ok".........and so you are.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that de-hydration is a contributing factor but there are many contributing factors, the biggest contributing factor is your thought process in my opinion.

De-hydration will give you symptoms that can then trigger negative thought patterns but does that mean de-hydration is the cause itself?

Cheers,
    Trev

We are back from our trip. Water saves the day yet once again! We loaded onto a hot plane on our trip to Orlando, and some people were sitting in our seats, so we had to stand all cramped together in the aisle til they got it straightened out. It was getting really hot, and crowded. I'm claustrophobic anyway, and I started to feel panicky.

I couldn't have gotten off that plane if I tried, as everyone was loading in. I started to feel really trapped. Thankfully, I had bought some water (in the shops past security) and I pulled it out and drank it down. In a matter of seconds, I felt really calm and I handled everything really well past that point.

Give it a try....there is something to this. If you drink a lot of water, you are not off the hook because you may be eating foods high in sodium which negates it. Check the sodium levels of one piece of pizza...you'd be shocked. In some cases, people are eating 6 and 7 times the daily requirement for sodium. If you eat any junk food at all---you are getting a tremendous amount of salt.

Trust me, all this is not in my mind. I tried everything from prayre to Xanax and you name it...nothing helped. I already tried using good thoughts to stop panic attacks...it didn't work. But drinking water and eating low sodium foods does. It has never failed yet. Ever. So, I'm sticking with it. I truly wish everyone well and a life filled with peace.
    Cindy
    Last edited by got no panic; 09-09-07 at 12:07.

Really glad you have found recovery and good luck going forward.

It's very good advice not to eat highly processed food as it does contain a large amount of salt (and sugar and usually quite a few other nasties such as hydrogenated fats etc). However, I still maintain that, while the advice to drink water is good, it would not stop a panic in a few seconds based on its hydrating properties alone. You have found your "comfort blanket" and you believe that it will work. So, guess what? It does work............because your belief it will causes a relaxation in your mind and thought direction.

Anyway, it works for you and that's the main thing.

Cheers, Trev :-)

thanks cindy.

You know bread has sodium in it , seems theres no escaping it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information