Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: THIS IS REALLY HELPING ME (pleasse read)

Re: THIS IS REALLY HELPING ME (pleasse read)

Hey there.

An interesting thread. I used to carry water everywhere as I found it helped a bit when I felt panicky. I still do, but that's just me.

I must say I totally agree with Trev. Drinking water is great, but I think that it only makes you feel better because you think it will. It might be considered a 'safety behaviour' by those from a CBT perspective.

However, it certainly is important to keep yourself healthy, and one of the things you need to do is to drink lots. Mirry, if you're finding it helpful, then keep right on with it

Don't get too bogged down with the whole Sodium thing. Yes - it's best not to eat too much salt. But sodium (like potassium, as you said) is a vital mineral that your body needs in certain quantities. Moderation is always the key.

As for Antihistamines, I would be extremely cautious. I've taken them plenty of times for an allergy, but not convinced they would be good to use long term for something they are not licensed for. I think it really would be best to get medical advice before taking them to help with anxiety problems.
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 15-03-14 at 00:05.

I saw this thing about histamine and panic attacks on Google, and thought I would post it. The connection between Histamine and Panic is interesting. (Especially since most panic meds are histamine blockers.)

A panic attack sufferer says she had high histamine.

...the biochemist nutritionist I saw, through his experience and a sophisticated blood test quickly discovered my problem. I had an unbelievably high histamine level, the fifth highest he had ever seen. He told me that high histamine was definitely the cause of my panic attacks, most probably the cause of my balance problem and Meniere's symptoms and even possibly the cause of my thinning hair line. He accurately described the symptoms I was having which are typical of a person with a high histamine level. They included: itchy skin, lots of nervous energy (vibrating my legs while sitting) followed by periods of tiredness or exhaustion, panic attacks, difficulty focusing and with memory. He was so accurate I couldn't believe it."

(MY NOTE: I have to say that I also have high histamine. I too have itchy skin, nervous energy...I vibrate my legs too while I sit at the computer, I have fatigue, difficulty focusing and memory problems just like this lady. Histamine causes running thoughts too. Makes it hard to sleep.
    Last edited by got no panic; 09-09-07 at 12:16.

Obviously, you wouldn't take it if you were going to be driving, it will make you reaaaly sleepy, also, I would'nt take more than a couple at a time, just because I don't want to abuse medicine. But, they are one of the safest meds you can take. And being nice and sleepy and relaxed and having a panic attack are about as opposite as you can get. Obviously, the nice and sleepy and relaxed is better! IMHO

But, I understand ones hesitancy. Really, high histamine is really just a symptom. The real problem may be Lactic Acid. (Which raises histamine.) I was reading that lactic acid, a known panic attack starter, can come from many sources. It is produced from eating a high sugar diet. Also, common foods like chocolate and tomatoes, wheat and dairy raise histamine. A piece of pizza is a panic attack on wheels for me.

Also, one of the reasons that water helps is because it clears lactic acid from the system.These two things are connected.

Just look into it...I can't prove it. But, I think this is right.

Last edited by got no panic; 09-09-07 at 12:32.

well after a few hellish weeks with my anxiety completly out of control , I found this method wasnt helping me as well as it should of.
    I went to work today and I drank 2 glasses of water straight down as soon as I felt the panic kicking in, it helped somewhat BUT I really dont feel it completley stops it happening if its a severe panic attack.

So my conclusion is that , Water (lots of it) does help with anxiety ,it somehow cools me down and helps with sweating.
    but it doesnt stop it my panic everytime .

I think its important to keep hydrated at all times.

Some say that it doesnt work much, others say that it works very well. I started drinking water (alongside a couple of beers) about 30mins ago and i feel pretty good, but i also feel slightly hyperactive and i feel like doing something but i dont know what. Its like a feeling of nervousness and excitement at the same time. (At the time of posting this i feel fine)

I think a good idea is to drink loads of water over the course of a few days, then give yourself little challenges and build up some positive mental associations. Also, dont eat too much food thats high in salt on days when you know you need to be in a situation where panic might occur, and replace those foods with fruit (high in water). I havent tried any of this yet but i think i will now. And ive just filled 2 x 2litre bottles of water to drink every day. I hope i stick to this. I think its more a case of generally being very well hydrated than relying only on a quick hit of water when you start to feel strange. Im going to turn into a fish and drink water until i dream about it.

And i dont buy the idea that it works only on a psychological level. Water is good for you, right? There must be a physical aspect to water as a remedy. Having said that, if anyone can assure me of this it would be good, and ironically i can use that knowledge to help me.

avoid salt, alcohol, caffiene and chocolate.
    excersize

Those I definately do now. I avoid all of those every single day, I find they make me feel panicky.
    And I go for a bike ride or walk at least twice a week now.

xxxx

I know this is an old thread brought up to date by noonoo, but after reading it i just want to also add that ive felt for a long time that theres something in the anti-histamine theory. I do know that my ectopics are much worse from march till end of may, and again august til oct. I don't get really bad hayfever, but i do get it and these are the times in the year when the different pollens are at their worst. Ive been thinking that maybe the polen has made my sensitive heart play up more.

I also googled the effects of histamine in sensitive people (yeah i know but it was long before i found nmp!) and among the many symptoms listed was an irregular heartbeat.

I recently asked my doc if i could take anti-histamine ontop of the beta blocker i'm also on, and he said yes, providing i take the anti-histamine at night. This is because they can make you drowsy, and because i take the beta blocker mid-morning. So far ive been too mervous to take the anti-histamine as well as the beta blockers but I still think there maybe a connection between histamine and my ectopics. Even when i look back over the last few years i can see a pattern of when the ectopics are stronger.

Food for thought.
    Cathy

after reading a lot of you finding drinking water helping i have to say i believe it is just a safety behaviour as it is what helped me at the start (9yrs ago) and i would carry a bottle of water (500ml) in my bag however now i have developed a bit of a problem where taking 1 bottle is not enough, gradually i would take more and more and now sometimes as many as 5 or 6 out with me (3ltrs) in case i drink it all or the bottle bursts and now fear being without it...on average i drink 5ltrs of water a day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information