Thread: Stop breathing when falling asleep

Stop breathing when falling asleep

Does anyone get this? Im getting a lot of scary symptoms at the moment and i cant cope. The last few nights everytime i drift off to sleep i jolt awake gasping for air! Its terrifying, its like i was under water and holding my breath. It happens even time i drift off so multiple time a night. I also have tremors, vision problems, severe dizziness and weakness too. Im convinced i have a neurological disease, these symptoms are getting worse every day.

Re: Stop breathing when falling asleep

It could be sleep apnea - very treatable.

A year ago, when I was under a ton of stress and started to get my first real physical anxiety symptoms, I was also getting this. It scared the shit out of me.

I had numerous other symptoms like tingling, dizziness, etc but this one was probably the worst as it affected my sleeping. Just as you described, it felt like I would stop breathing just as I would start to drift off to sleep.

You're just gonna have to try and calm yourself down and not worry about it. Try laying in different positions (helped me) and if you get desperate enough, think about a short term sleep aide like zzzquil or melatonin.

The greatest truth i've learned is that the more you think about it, focus on it, and worry about it, the longer you'll experience it. If nothing else, know that you're not the only one whose experienced this. It will go away with time and patience.

Good luck.

Hi, I don't know if it helps, but there is a fine line between conscious breathing...Our regular breathing pattern while awake and unconscious breathing...very much slowed down while sleeping deeply. It sounds like you are just more sensitive to passing from one to the other. Living with anxiety can esculate this sensation, making you much more aware of the different patterns.

Cath S ☺

Thread Information