Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of heart attack - again

Scared of heart attack - again

This is becoming so exhausting for me.

I seem to do really well with HA and then someone new pops up.
    I’m trying to follow a program to help with HA but I’m having a major relapse.

So, yesterday I had pinching pains in my chest and when it happened it would also trigger my bowels.
    So my day yesterday was pinching pain, poop, pinching pain, poop.

Today I had some tingling in my left arm and convinced myself this was gonna be the end. I have no chest pains or orther symptoms. Just a bit of tingling.

I’ve had a ton of ECGs, wore a 48 hour heart monitor, had an echo/stress test done, blood work, chest X-rays - everything has always come back normal.
    What they did find was gallstones.
    LOGICALLY I know my chest discomfort is probably caused by my stones but when my left arm gets involved it’s enough to trigger panic.
    On Friday I became so panicked my entire chest and head went hot and my stomach immediately felt sick.

I’m so tired of this. I feel like I get medical clearance and everything checks out and then I have a pain somewhere and it triggers me into a spiral.
    I honestly don’t know what else to do.

Re: Scared of heart attack - again

Isn't anxiety fun, it can really screw with us, I am sorry you are going through all of this. As someone told me in my thread you'll know when you are having a heart attack, also you wouldn't be posting if it were. Hope it gets better for you

Working in hot conditions

So, it seems as tho summer has arrived with a vengeance here in Canada.

I work in manufacturing/shipping so there is no AC and the machines make it quite hot. Tomorrow it is supposed to feel like 37C outside, which means where I work will be about 45-50C.

This freaks me out (the hot temperatures). Even on Friday it was about 32C and my heart rate was about 117-130 when I was just standing there putting things into bags.
    I drink a lot of water/drinks with electrolytes in them, but on Friday I was still feeling a bit lightheaded and my heart would flutter/I would find it hard to breathe (could have been the anxiety of the heat).

Could these conditions cause heart failure?
    I’ve had all necessary tests about a year to a year and a half ago re: heart and everything came back fine and normal.

How worried should I be about the temps?

Re: Working in hot conditions

So, as I have really been learning and worrying about, heart failure isn't quite what the lay person thinks it is. HF is simply where the heart is no longer strong enough to pump the blood required by the body, leading to exhaustion, swelling, and other symptoms.

What i would say you are more worried about is it causing a sudden cardiac arrest, which i would say still isn't a huge concern for you, especially if you have been recently checked. That said, it does sound like it may be pretty taxing on you, so i would do everything you can to mitigate the heat (more cold water, take more sitting breaks, etc).

No, this will not lead to heart failure. That's not how it works. Your heart could run for months at that heart rate, no problem.

And how can it possibly be 37deg C in Canada? Those are equatorial temperatures.

In any case, moving about in hot temperatures could easily increase your heart rate over 100bpm, especially if you suffer from anxiety. I would also avoid drinking too many electrolyte drinks as they contain salt, which will also increase your heart rate. One a day, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    No, this will not lead to heart failure. That's not how it works. Your heart could run for months at that heart rate, no problem.

And how can it possibly be 37deg C in Canada? Those are equatorial temperatures.

In any case, moving about in hot temperatures could easily increase your heart rate over 100bpm, especially if you suffer from anxiety. I would also avoid drinking too many electrolyte drinks as they contain salt, which will also increase your heart rate. One a day, maybe.
    Tomorrow in Hamilton, ON Canada the weather is 33C, with the humidex feels like 39C.
    It gets hot like that quite often in the summer here - though usually not this early.
    Thanks for the response. I usually do only have one electrolyte drink per shift. All other times I drink water.

I’m relieved to know that that won’t trjgger cardiac arrest/heart failure. It’s supposed to cool down on Tuesday so I only have to survive tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    So, as I have really been learning and worrying about, heart failure isn't quite what the lay person thinks it is. HF is simply where the heart is no longer strong enough to pump the blood required by the body, leading to exhaustion, swelling, and other symptoms.

What i would say you are more worried about is it causing a sudden cardiac arrest, which i would say still isn't a huge concern for you, especially if you have been recently checked. That said, it does sound like it may be pretty taxing on you, so i would do everything you can to mitigate the heat (more cold water, take more sitting breaks, etc).
    Thanks
    My workplace is very generous with heat breaks. One 10-minute every hour. I will take those. And yes, it’s sudden cardiac arrest I’m worried about.
    I did watch a video tho on heart preparation and there seems to be a lot of things that would happen before cardiac arrest.
    Puts me at ease a bit.

I do sympathise. I don't do well in the heat. I can walk around in a t-shirt when it's -5 outside, but the more the temperature creeps above 25degC, the worse I feel. I visited Thailand 15 years ago during the rainy season, and it was so hot and humid (35-40deg) that I started to feel the onset of heat stroke just walking around (this was before I suffered from anxiety, so I know it wasn't in my head!).

I had to sit in a KFC for about 2 hours with the air conditioning, I had each hand in a large cup of ice.

The heart rate is your body pumping blood to your extremities to cool it down. It's doing what it's supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I do sympathise. I don't do well in the heat. I can walk around in a t-shirt when it's -5 outside, but the more the temperature creeps above 25degC, the worse I feel. I visited Thailand 15 years ago during the rainy season, and it was so hot and humid (35-40deg) that I started to feel the onset of heat stroke just walking around (this was before I suffered from anxiety, so I know it wasn't in my head!).

I had to sit in a KFC for about 2 hours with the air conditioning, I had each hand in a large cup of ice.

The heart rate is your body pumping blood to your extremities to cool it down. It's doing what it's supposed to do.
    Thank you
    I made it through Monday, tho now they’re saying Thursday and Friday will be equally as hot (high 30s).
    *groan*
    Fingers crossed - next week looks better.

Freaking out right now

I was in the kitchen making my lunch when suddenly I got a weird feeling in my chest. It felt like a warm sensation.

I got a little panicked about it and felt my left arm pit get hot and my arm tingle a bit.

I’m laying in bed trying to calm myself because I think it’s a panic attack but I’m also really scared it’s my heart.
    I’ve been keeping track of my heart rate and it’s 90-100bpm.

Does this seem like heart? Or indigestion induced panic attack?

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Side note: just laying here my chest is getting a warm feeling.

Re: Freaking out right now

The fact that you’re here posting indicates to me it’s nothing serious. And why are you monitoring your own heart rate? That’s a terrible idea unless instructed by a doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information