Thread: Eyelid cancer?

Eyelid cancer?

Hello everyone, I was hoping maybe someone might be able to help me figure out if what I'm concerned about is actually of concern. For months, I have had a small lump on my upper eyelid (more like it started in my eyelid and grew out, if that makes sense) on my right eyelid. It's not terribly large, but if I close my eyes the bump is noticeable. I at first thought, okay maybe it's just a blocked gland of some sort. But, I've had this for awhile, and every now and then it feels like something is in my eye - not all the time, but it does happen.

So, with that being said, this lump has not gone away since I discovered it, and truth be told I would forget I even had it until I had to itch my eye, or I felt like something was in it and then I would remember I had it. I'm concerned that it's a basal cell carcinoma, or a sebaceous gland carcinoma, or something else. I see that it could be a chalazion, but I've had this long enough to where I don't think that's the case. And when looking at the inside of my eyelid, there's no ulceration or anything, it looks almost like a pimple as my mom put it. This is actually freaking me out because it's a physical symptom that I can always see. I'll probably be making an appointment with my GP and see if I'll get a referral to an ophthalmologist, but in the meantime, it's always on my mind.

Re: Eyelid cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou93 View Post
    Hello everyone, I was hoping maybe someone might be able to help me figure out if what I'm concerned about is actually of concern. For months, I have had a small lump on my upper eyelid (more like it started in my eyelid and grew out, if that makes sense) on my right eyelid. It's not terribly large, but if I close my eyes the bump is noticeable. I at first thought, okay maybe it's just a blocked gland of some sort. But, I've had this for awhile, and every now and then it feels like something is in my eye - not all the time, but it does happen.

So, with that being said, this lump has not gone away since I discovered it, and truth be told I would forget I even had it until I had to itch my eye, or I felt like something was in it and then I would remember I had it. I'm concerned that it's a basal cell carcinoma, or a sebaceous gland carcinoma, or something else. I see that it could be a chalazion, but I've had this long enough to where I don't think that's the case. And when looking at the inside of my eyelid, there's no ulceration or anything, it looks almost like a pimple as my mom put it. This is actually freaking me out because it's a physical symptom that I can always see. I'll probably be making an appointment with my GP and see if I'll get a referral to an ophthalmologist, but in the meantime, it's always on my mind.
    This clearly shows you have been calling dr Google. Steer clear from that idiot. And make that appointment with the GP, he will put your mind to rest.

PS Btw, basal cell carcinoma is cancer in name only. It never metastasizes and takes decades to grow and invade tissue. It is absolutely not a life threatening disease, but something that can usually be sorted in 20 minutes.

Margaret Thatcher

Sounds like you've got a stye to me.

Not a doctor or medical advice.

Maybe an ingrown eyelash or a stye.

I've had the same. Felt like something was in my eye, I could not even sleep because of that. Then I went to the doctor then it turned out nothing serious, probably my contact lenses caused it, I've got eyedrops and after a week it was gone. Please try not to worry. ^^ By the way I am hyperaware of every phisical symptom as well, in a day I can fear 4 illnesses then realise I should not.

Thread Information