Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MS Diagnosis

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: MS Diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Just updating to say that I’ve been to see my GP (primary care physician, I think, in the US) as I needed to update my prescriptions and to see if there had been any correspondence from the hospital. There was, indeed, a letter from the hospital outlining my visit, the tests they have ordered, and the possibility of starting Ocrevus. Ocrevus is paid for by the government Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, but I think another reason for all the tests is that a case has to be made with documentation for its prescription.

For my part, I’ve been reading up on a line of research that looks at repurposing less expensive medications that have been approved for various conditions but which also may have neuroprotective or neuroregenerative properties (particularly helping to regenerate myelin, which is reduced in MS). Two candidates seemed to apply to me – one was metoprolol (a beta blocker) instead of my current blood pressure medication, and another was solifenacin (an anti-muscarinic), which helps quieten urinary urgency, which is a symptom of MS that I have. My GP has become used to me coming in armed with printouts, and has agreed to give the meds a try-out, along with my usual mirtazapine and pregabalin. I’m a bit worried that I’m going to be full of meds, but I’m willing to try anything at the moment.

As far as tests go, I have a lumbar puncture next Wednesday, and a follow-up MRI in two weeks, plus I have to make an appointment for visual evoked potentials – so many tests!

The last thing is that I had my doctor complete my application for a disabled parking permit. I can still drive okay, but from now on I will have to have a periodic medical review – it’s a legal obligation once I received the diagnosis of MS.
    Thanks for update, Hanshan.

I read that SSRIs Fluoxetine and Sertraline "potentially" have neuroprotective characteristics in neuro diseases such as MS. Also, Amitriptyline has been found to promote neurogenesis, along with a few other SSRIs and SNRIs. Aspirin has been found to benefit MS patients' apparent increased risk of cardio diseases along with MS-induced fatigue.

Some of the apparent "benefits" can be tenuous but I know your knowledge of meds is extensive, so that will stand you in good stead. Ultimately, it's a matter of trial and error with these meds and I know you've been on a stable regimen for a long time now.

Good luck with upcoming procedure and sending you positive thoughts.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Just been thinking of you hanshan,and hope you are ok

Let us know how you are when you can?

Just wanted to give this a bump in support of hanshan. I hope things are going well for you.

There's no pressure to respond, you have enough on your plate, but I think it's important you know this place is here for you if you need it.

Wishing you well hanshan

I was thinking of Hanshan only the other day and that he'd not posted an update for so long. Very thoughtful of you to bump this thread, Terry.

Hope you're managing, Hanshan. Remember we're here to support you should you need it

Never Surrender, Comrade

I hope things are manageable, Hanshan. Please update us when you can?

Thanks KK.

There can be so many situations going on in this forum, let alone our lives, that it can be hard to keep track of everything. It's perhaps more notable when it's members we are used to talking to, and often in a less anxiety focussed manner, who I think can be unassuming people who spend more of their time helping others so the likeminded feel they. It's always nice to see them rallied around when it's their time for some well deserved support.

Wanted to bump this thread. You haven't been forgotten, Hanshan, and I hope you are coping with what must be a big life change.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks for bumping, KK.

All the best to you hanshan. We are here if you need us but if not we just hope you are well and enjoying your life.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information