Thread: Brain eating amoeba again

Brain eating amoeba again

Today my dad made me take the cover off my swimming pool and it still had some dirty rainwater on it and I'm scared that a droplet of the rain water or the unclorinated pool water that had algae in it might have gotten up my nose and now I'm going to die in a week of nagleria fowleri. I know that most cases happened in southern states where the weather is hotter longer but it's getting pretty hot in NY. Please help me should I go to the hospital?

Re: Brain eating amoeba again

No, just no. What reason do you think you should go to hospital for? Water splashing on you?

To think that you have anything of the sort is utterly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NervousSubject View Post
    Today my dad made me take the cover off my swimming pool and it still had some dirty rainwater on it and I'm scared that a droplet of the rain water or the unclorinated pool water that had algae in it might have gotten up my nose and now I'm going to die in a week of nagleria fowleri. I know that most cases happened in southern states where the weather is hotter longer but it's getting pretty hot in NY. Please help me should I go to the hospital?
    As I've said before, this is utter nonsense, you're creating a fantasy that doesn't exist. Step back into reality and get some help for your HA.

I'm a big fan of statistics in healthy rationalize my irrational thoughts. For numbers sake let's do this route. In total, from 1962-2015 there have been a total of 138 cases. Let's just say all those cases happened in one year. The 2010 census said that there were 308,745,538 people in the US. You have a 0.00000045 chance of contracting it. The number would obviously be smaller since this was calculated with the total cases being in one year. This number is so small that's it's even hard to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by NervousSubject View Post
    No, you should go to a therapist to seek treatment for a healht anxiety that is gone completely irrational. You should most certainly not go to the ER to waste the time of doctors that should be reserved for someone with real issues.
    So sad that you are wasting a wonderful time of the year on this nonsene. Really sad.

I was going to reply but saw that I did on one of your your previous threads

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've gone swimming in ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers, unchlorinated pools, etc. as a kid. Probably hundreds of times. I've also used a neti pot with tap water once.

I'm still kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I was going to reply but saw that I did on one of your your previous threads

Positive thoughts

This is amazing. An unfortunate and superultrarareobscure bacteria that affests one in ten billion people become the main focus of fear from someone and he keeps fearing it more than one time. I mean, c*mon, how is the chance of getting a one in tel billion chance bacteria TWICE??

OP, I feel sorry for you; because of your over the top anxiety over this. You have one life, summer come once a year and it is short and you spend precious time on this earth and in the summer worrying about monsters under your bed. Seek help for your anxiety. Asking questions over and over if
    water up your nose will give yoou brain eating bugs is only self destructive. Stop this - NOW!
    Besides, I think people here already told you that the brain is NOT lying under your nose. So why do you keep pushing this nonsense? Dont you believe us? Dont you believe doctors? Why do you want to waste hospital rescources? I think you should stop posting brain eating amoeba questions here and tell the fear of yours to a therapist dealing with anxiety and tell him that you are in constant fear over this.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOvens View Post
    I've gone swimming in ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers, unchlorinated pools, etc. as a kid. Probably hundreds of times. I've also used a neti pot with tap water once.

I'm still kicking.
    By the logic of those stuck in the over the top irrational fear about this brain eating something you would have caught that a million times.

!!!! omg - no - there is -0% chance that you could have gotten a brain-eating amoeba.
    Firstly it has to be warm, secondly, it has to be forced up the nose - like jumping into the water etc etc - there is NO WAY and trust me I have had fears about this - but mine was from using a netti pot up my nose - using tap water - more likely but still highly unlikely.
    YOU'RE FINE.

Thread Information