I have been single for 5 years now and I took a plunge and decided to go on a dating website to try to meet someone. I was speaking to this guy who sounds great, we had a lot of similar interests and after speaking for a couple of weeks by text he asked me out on a date. I really wanted to go for it but my anxiety has completely taken over me in recent weeks and I had to say no. I felt like a complete idiot because I've had to be honest and tell him what I'm going through and just explained it's not fair to him, I don't know how I'm going to feel on the day, I don't want to have to cancel etc.

I don't just have social anxiety. I also have a bit of agoraphobia & hypochondria and I can't even go to work lately without having a panic attack so how can I go on a first date?!

I'm gutted and I wish I could have found the strength to take the opportunity and have just gone for it, and now I feel like a plonker and he probably thinks I'm lying lol.

I think I need to work on myself and my confidence a bit more first and then I really need to start taking these chances. Everyone gets nerves it's understandable I just need to learn to control mine. I'd hate to have a full blown panic attack before or during a date especially when I'm not close to home or with a friend.

How do you guys cope with dating with anxiety/panic disorder? I've only been in one relationship before, it lasts 4 years, ended pretty badly and I've been single ever since I'd like to meet someone but it just seems so difficult right now!