Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indigestion? Fearing Stomach cancer...

Re: Indigestion? Fearing Stomach cancer...

Well here's something that might be useful for some people here:

https://www.iffgd.org/upper-gi-disorders/dyspepsia

Apparently "Functional Dyspepsia" is a thing and just basically means "you don't digest food correctly". :(

Could certainly be related to the anxious stomach I often get and see described on here.

I'm getting examined by my GI doc currently, but this does explain a lot of what I might be feeling and makes more sense than jumping to Stomach Cancer or Pancreatic Cancer in my case.

Re: Stomach pains and bloating

Quote Originally Posted by ktdid2000 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been experiencing weird stomach issues for a few weeks now, starting about the time stress at work went crazy. I've had this happen before, but this time it appears to be focused on my upper stomach and not my bowels (where I normally see the results of stress).

I've been having the following:

• Stomach bloating
    • Stomach "fullness", like I just ate too much
    • Mild "pain", more like just an uncomfortable feeling
    • Some back pain on the left side, very mild and not constant
    • Some nausea/loss of appetite
    • Lots of burping/air

Basically my stomach is just sort of a mess. I've never had anything like ulcers or gastritis to my knowledge. I'm 36.

Of course I'm jumping to the WORST conclusions like stomach or pancreatic cancer. Just ask my hubby about that one.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to settle a nervous stomach?

I was proud of myself the other day when I cancelled my gastro appt, but now I'm doubting myself again. Didn't want to get all sorts of unnecessary tests this time and figured it would go away eventually.

So far it's been on and off for about 4 weeks. Of course the longer it goes on the more my imagination runs away with it...
    Sounds word for word like what I've been going through. Mine keeps going from my stomach to my bowels. Somedays I get the stuff you've described and other days I get it lower down / bowel issues. I've got a few more tests to go through yet but my doctor is adamant it's IBS.

I actually saw my doctor today and I was told that IBS can really amplify or indirectly cause anxious thoughts and thought hypersensitivity.

I hope you get better soon I know how wearing it can be.

Thanks kalny!

With any luck I'll get the all clear next week and can focus on avoiding more testing for this issue and try to resolve the mental things underlying it.

At least I tell myself that...

Currently I am just super super nervous about the testing itself! :(

Quote Originally Posted by ktdid2000 View Post
    Thanks kalny!

With any luck I'll get the all clear next week and can focus on avoiding more testing for this issue and try to resolve the mental things underlying it.

At least I tell myself that...

Currently I am just super super nervous about the testing itself! :(
    Let us know how you get on!

I hope you feel better soon.

My doctor told me to try peppermint oil and (I don't want to jinx it) it seems to have a positive effect at the minute. Does the nausea go away if you eat something?

Ultrasound went well yesterday. Doc is supposed to have results on Monday and then my follow up is the 5th. I was pretty positive about everything yesterday and my symptoms were either very mild or non existent. Of course today my anxiety is a lot higher and I'm fearing the results so I'm panicking and symptoms are back.

Massive indigestion and feel like I'm going to be sick - I just had breakfast and it's sitting like a rock in my stomach. I hope this is just my nervousness. :( if it was cancer I don't know why my symptoms would come and go.

Ultrasound yesterday also doesn't look at the stomach so I'm not feeling too confident right now. ��

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Annnnd I just designed to read a bunch of blog posts of people who got stomach cancer in their 30s. Why brain why!!!!!???

Now I am terrified again and ready to demand scope on Thursday....

So I spoke with my Gastro again and he said the ultrasound was negative (no abnormal results). I don't think he was quite sure what to do with me at that point, but since we did loads of testing last year to rule out other things he wasn't really keen to start down that road again.

I told him my fears about stomach cancer and he dismissed them, didn't offer a scope as he felt it wasn't needed. Of course now I'm worried he's blowing me off and dismissing something serious.

That was sort of the end of the road with him. He did offer a stomach emptying test but didn't even schedule a follow up visit.

My HA is telling me to run to another doc for another opinion and hopefully more testing, but I did that last year too and nothing came of it. Just more cash out of the wallet.

Stomach has been way worse over the week so far - now my bowels are a mess too. I'm pretty sure stomach cancer doesn't cause diarrhea. I just got back from an entirely stressful work trip and my bowels got messed up on the last day. Cramps and the whole lot.

I'm biting the bullet today and scheduling my first appointment with a counselor. I'm so sick of this.

I am having SUCH similar abdominal symptoms to you. And also jumping to the same wild conclusions of course!
    But yay to you: you are booking an appointment with a therapist- NOT another GI doctor (because you know, deep down, your symptoms are anxiety based)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I am having SUCH similar abdominal symptoms to you. And also jumping to the same wild conclusions of course!
    But yay to you: you are booking an appointment with a therapist- NOT another GI doctor (because you know, deep down, your symptoms are anxiety based)
    Thanks jojo! It's so hard to stay focused on the fact that doctor's have found nothing wrong so far and not worrying about the worst case scenario.

I really hope the therapist can help me re-direct my thinking - it's such a habit now. :(

Oh my goodness I hear you. SUCH a habit. For me I think the habit has been a lifetime in the making. As a child a headache was a brain tumour and a cough was lung cancer. When I realise this I feel a little despondent: is it really possible to rewire a brain after so long (I’m 41 now). Sorry- that sounds really pessimistic!! Such good luck with the therapy. Positive steps!

I’m in this boat right now. We had big news to tell our family and on the 20th I started feeling like this and feeling like something was off. We pulled the plug on our big news and I thought I’d feel better. I only had relief on Wednesday this past week. I, like you, don’t have much pain, but the fullness feeling and loss of appetite is spot on. Burping provides some relief for that moment. No vomiting. My bowls are what I would call my “typically IBS bowels.” I’ve had IBS since 2013 after gallbladder removal. I feel like I’ve felt like this before in 2015, but I truly don’t know if I had the food aversion that I currently do. Like you, I’m so afraid it’s something serious. In 2015 when I had my second bout of pancreatitis (absolutely without a doubt knew it was pancreatitis and went straight to the urgent care, I don’t feel like that this time) I went for all kinds of testing. Everything came back clear then. I believe I had to just calm down and let my mind be distracted by something else. I had a frightful time in June and from the day I received the all clear I have been okay. Until now. So just at a month? It was a glorious month and I hope to have more like that in my future. We will get there ktdid!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information