Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

I just switched this morning from Citalopram to Escitalopram. I've been on Citalopram 40 mg. for 5 years, but 6/7 weeks ago it quit working for me.

My new prescription is for 10 mg. I'm hoping the lower dose will be effective for me (40 mg of Citalopram is actually equivalent to 20 mg. Escitalopram).

I plan on using this thread as a place to update my side effects. Hopefully it will be helpful to anyone else who has to switch to Escitalopram.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Day 1: Took 5 mg. of the Escitalopram this morning. I had very minor stomach ache a few hours later, probably due to taking it on an empty stomach.

Tonight, I feel a bit spaced out, but that could be due to me hardly eating anything the past week or so (anxiety has killed my appetite).

Re: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Day 2: I had insomnia last night, and ended up having to take two trazedone instead of my typical (for the last few weeks) one. I don't know if that's due to the Escitolopram, or that I've so convinced myself that I'll get bad insomnia with starting up. I suspect the latter;-).

I forced myself to eat a few bites of cereal before taking my pill this morning, and today I never got any stomach pain.

Otherwise, I haven't had any other side effects yet.

I always took mine with breakfast and had no probs.
    Was on it for 5 yrs (10mg) and found it great.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks, Phil! I hope it works as well for me as the Citalopram did for 5 years:-). I'm also I'm hoping I find the 10 mg as an effective dose for me.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Day 3: I had to take two trazadone again last night in order to sleep; but I still don't know if it's side effects or that I've been so nervous with switching in regards to sleep.

Last night, I felt spaced out again around 5 or 6, plus had this scalp tingling. I then felt very calm and almost back to my old self for most of the evening, which was nice. I managed to read for several hours, and have been to revved up to do that for several days. My appetite also came back with a vengeance around 9 or so, but I didn't eat anything since it was so late. I'm going to force myself to start eating three meals a day, as I think eating as little as I have been probably isn't helping.

I had a little increased anxiety earlier this morning, but now I feel okay.

Took my 4th pill this morning. Two more days of 5 mg., and then up to 10 mg. :-).

Increase in anxiety yesterday afternoon, but it was very manageable.

I got the scalp tingling thing again around the same time.

I had a great evening! No anxiety, I was very calm, and got my appetite back.

I only needed one Trazedone to fall asleep last night, and I'm not sure if I even would've needed it. I'm going to put off taking one until much later tonight to see what happens.

Day 4: This morning, I woke up with a bit of anxiety. But, I did manage to eat a bit more for breakfast than I usually do. I also have a spaced out feeling which worsens when I turn my head.

The spaced out feeling lasted all morning yesterday. It was especially noticeable when I would look up or to the side.

I also had some stomach issues yesterday morning. That cleared up after I took an Imodium AD.

I had a great afternoon and evening! Some slight anxiety, but it dissipated until it was completely gone by 2 or 3. My appetite came back; I actually ate a normal lunch and dinner.

I also feel asleep with out my sleeping meds:-). Unfortunately, an hour or so later I woke up, in somewhat of a panic. Even after calming down, and I couldn't fall asleep on my own, so I ended up taking one and then eventually two Trazedone.

Day 5: Increased anxiety when I woke up. A feeling of disappointment, and severe nervousness about when I want to up the dosage to 10 mg, and what will happen when I do.

Hi. I am on day 11 of 10 mg. I have noticed that with every day the morning anxiety seems to be getting worse and worse. I wake up in a feeling of panic that feels like it ripples through my whole body. I'm nauseous, my muscles hurt, and every movement feels like I'm wading through quicksand. Usually I keep it all the way until 3 or 4 PM. I keep waiting and praying that it will let up, but it hasn't yet. Hope you aren't on the same track as me and yours will let up sooner!

Hi, Mommyof1!

I have a feeling mine will get worse, too. I'm dreading the second week, because it seems like side effects are more severe then, but the medication hasn't kicked in yet.

Since you're at Day 11, I have a feeling yours will let up really soon:-).

I'm really hoping so because I dont know how much more of this I can take. I'm so confused because everyone in my family keeps telling me there's something wrong and I shouldn't be feeling this way, but then when I read reviews it says that it's normal. I dont know what to think anymore, I just know I'm miserable and trying to survive day to day. I dont live anymore, I simply exist.

I had a slight increase in anxiety yesterday, which stuck around for most of the day. No appetite, either.

I did sleep a bit better; I fell asleep on my own, but then woke up and couldn't fall back asleep, so took 1 trazadone.

Day 6: I actually slept in a bit today, and had no motivation to get out of bed. Hopefully it's a sign the medication is starting to mellow me out a bit;-).

Anxiety this morning, but I went for a 3 mile walk and felt much better when I got home. I've been feeling very calm and more positive this afternoon, and my appetite is back.

About an hour after taking the pill this morning, I got the spaced out feeling again when I turned my head quickly or looked up or down. It's really strange; I almost feel like I've taken an illegal substance;-).

Mild stomach upset this afternoon.

Otherwise, it's been a pretty good day.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information