Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Re: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Last night, I fell asleep without taking a trazadone pill :-). I did wake up twice, but managed to fall asleep again in a relatively short amount of time. I keep reminding myself that I've always woken up several times during the night; that is very natural for me, so not a side effect or the result of anxiety.

Day 7: One week down. What a relief.

Some mild stomach upset this morning, and late afternoon. Mild anxiety this morning and early afternoon. Otherwise, there isn't much to report (which is a good thing!).

Fell asleep on my own last night, but then woke up after an hour with some anxiety and a feeling of dread. I then had to take one trazadone, and it still took me awhile to fall back asleep. I was tempted to take a second one, but resisted, and eventually did go back to sleep. I slept until my alarm went off, which is unusual; I've been waking before it does lately.

Onto the second week:-). I'm still at 5 mg, and I may stay at that until we return from vacation at the end of June.

I hope everyone else is doing okay!!

Day 9!: I had mild stomach upset yesterday, otherwise that was it for side effects.

Bad insomnia last night. I took one trazadone, but woke after an hour or so, and it took forever for me to fall back asleep. The strange thing though was I wasn't at all concerned about it, which makes me think the escitalopram is starting to kick in a bit?!

I had to force myself out of bed this morning, even after sleeping in an hour later than usual.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Mommyof1, how are you doing? Are you feeling better?

Hi Kel, I'm doing slightly better, which is better than nothing! I had a decent day yesterday (day 14) where I wasn't overly anxious, but I also didnt have much energy to do anything. It's like my anxiety keeps me so hyper alert that when I dont have it, I feel so blah. I've yet to feel a happy medium. Still having nervous mornings and lots of nausea. I just wish I could have an appetite again, this isnt from the meds, I haven't had an appetite in 2 months since all of this began! I'm sleeping ok. I wake up around 6 every morning. My husband takes .5mg Ativans. So I've found that if I set an alarm for about 4am and get up and take one, I can sleep in until about 730ish.
    Today is day 15 and it's a very anxious one so far....
    I hope you are doing better!

It sounds like you are making definite progress, Mommyof1!

I know what you mean about your appetite; mine comes and goes, and has for the past 2 months since my anxiety came back. Yesterday, I was actually hungry in the afternoon and evening; today, not at all. I ate a few bites of cereal for breakfast and then a small bowl of oatmeal for dinner, and that was it. I do make a point to drink a lot of water, and some juice throughout the day.

I wish this medication would kick in sooner:-). I still have to bump up to 10 mg at some point, which I'm really not looking forward to.

Day 10: I slept better last night. I had to take one trazadone, but it worked relatively fast, and then I was out until shortly before my alarm went off.

I think I might move up to 7.5 mg. on Sunday. It will be a pain cutting the pills, but I feel better going up slow.

Kel, do not fear the 10mgs. I survived for 13 days on my own with no help from benzos. Your body is already introduced to the medicine and you have help. The more you stress about it, the more your mind is going to play tricks on you!

I hope the 10 mgs treats you well
    , mine is starting to!

I started taking Escitalopram this is my 6th day on 10mgs for bad anxiety. I take Vistaril to take the edge off which is not a benzo. Tried Fluoxetine for 8 weeks with little success. Hope this works. Went to the gym today, to burn off some anxiety. The side effects have been tolerable mostly stomach aches, heartburn at night and poor appetite, been drinking ensure during the day. Is this drug faster acting then Fluoxetine.

Mommyof1, that's great it's starting to work for you!!!! I bet that's such a relief.

I really do need to just bite the bullet and up to 10 mg. I keep putting it off because I've got a busy next few weeks planned: my daughters' birthday party, extra days scheduled at work, a dentist appointment where I'm getting a crown put on, and then we're going on vacation the last week of the month. I'm so freaked out that my side effects will be so bad that I'll have to stay home and skip vacation.

I'm not on any benzos either; the trazadone is another antidepressant that is prescribed off-label in low doses as a sleep aid. I did have to take a benzo when I started Citalopram 5 years ago in order to sleep. I'm really hoping to avoid that this time around, which is another reason I'm nervous about moving up doses.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Will351, it sounds like you are doing really well so far :-)!

I've read that escitalopram is supposed to kick in a bit faster than other SSRIs, but who knows. I suppose it varies from person to person, and depends on what dose is effective.

Day 11: I slept great last night :-). I didn't need to take any trazadone; and slept all through the night.

I woke up this morning, and, in addition to my usual morning anxiety, had a different feeling. I almost didn't recognize it at first;-). It was hunger. My appetite comes and goes through out the day, but it's been probably 2 months since I've been hungry in the morning.

I've got a busy day planned today and for the next few days, which is good.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information