Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Re: Just switched to Escitalopram: my experience

Day 31 at 10 mg

Rough night last night; I feel asleep on my own but kept waking up. Finally, at 3 a.m. I was awake for good.

Today has been really up and down.

A fair amount of anxiety all morning. I couldn't sit still. No appetite. I also got chills while sitting outside in hot, humid weather. Weird.

Then, this afternoon the anxiety was almost totally gone. I almost fell asleep while sitting outside; I was so tired and mellow.

The anxiety returned late afternoon, and increased. We went out to eat, and I had to force myself to eat anything. It was for my Mom's birthday, and I plastered a fake smile to my face and pretended everything was fine ;-). The anxiety slowly got better. Right now, I'm at about a level 1 out of 10 for anxiety.

With a little luck, I'll start having more and more moments like what I'm having right now, and fewer moments like this morning and late afternoon.

Hi NervousKel

I tried the med for 2 months before realising it wasnt working for me.

I always go back to Escitalopram as its the only med thats ever worked for me. Ive been on and off it for the last 18 years but it alwasy poops out. Im actually going to start a new thread asking if anyone has experience on poop out how long they needed to come off it before they were able to go back on.

Hi Roseywosey!

I'll be interested to see what the responses are to your question. Have you ever tried adding something else to the Escitalopram once it poops out? I've heard of people adding Wellbutrin or Abilify after an SSRI quits working, and that sometimes will kick it in gear again, at least for a little while.

Day 33 at 10 mg.

Saturday night, my good mood stuck around, and by the time I went to bed I was in a great mood; very happy and even excited?! I did fall asleep okay, but then woke up about two hours later, wide awake and still in a great mood. I wasn't remotely anxious, and could have cared less if I slept again or not. Eventually I did take one trazadone, because we were going to an amusement park the next day. The trazadone seemed to take a long time to work, but I did finally fall back asleep. I did wonder if this elevated mood could be an early sign the meds are starting to kick in??

Sunday, my good mood continued. We took our 3 teens plus one of their friends to an amusement park. I had been dreading the trip for the last week, since my anxiety has gotten worse. Fortunately, I ended up having a really good day. I'd say my anxiety level was at a .05 out of 10. Not much of an appetite, but I did eat a decent sized lunch and dinner.

I had a few anxious thoughts on the way home regarding bedtime, but not too bad.

I ended up falling asleep easily, but then woke twice; both times with anxiety, but did fall back asleep easily. I then woke up for good.....at 3 a.m. Good grief!! On the plus side, I didn't take a trazadone;-).

I then lay in bed until 6, and was really shaky?? I'm not sure if it was because I haven't been eating much, or what the deal is. I've also been drenched in sweat since waking up, to the point it's practically rolling down my face. Oh, I had diarrhea, too.

But--so far today, no anxiety?? It will be interesting to see how the day progresses, since after a poor night's sleep my anxiety and worried thoughts are always worse.

I don't want to jinx it, but I'm hoping (so, so, so hoping!) that the medication is starting to work!

I had really hoped this would be a good day today, but nope;-)!

Low mood, and I have no interest in anything today, including eating. I look at the new puppy we got on Friday, and I'm filled with a feeling of absolute dread about the added responsibility. So far, my husband and teens have been doing the bulk of the puppy chores, but that will end when my kids go back to school on the 23rd. It's an adorable little pup, but I'm feeling so tied down now.

I keep trying to convince myself that my anxiety is less today than it was last week...but I think I'm just grasping at straws, wanting so badly for this dose to work. I need another day like yesterday, or better yet, a moment like Saturday night when I felt so carefree and happy ;-).

Day 34 at 10 mg.

I was in a good mood by bedtime last night; I feel asleep on my own but woke up an hour later, and was wide awake. I took a trazadone, and that kicked in quite quickly, and then I slept until 6:30, which lately is sleeping in for me!

"Okay" day today. Anxiety levels seemed low, but this could just be wishful thinking on my part. I want so badly for this med to work that sometimes I think I convince myself that I'm feeling less anxiety, when I really might not be.

Multiple times today a feeling of dread would come over me. This is new, as usually it's anxiety/worried thoughts more than dread. The dread would pop up at random moments, and also when I'd look at or think about the new puppy, or the upcoming winter.

I've also felt just really flat today.

No appetite or interest in food, and when I do eat, I'm full within a few bites.

This afternoon, I was reading on our back patio swing, and kept starting to fall asleep.

I've decided that I'll give 10 mg another week...then I'll make an appointment with the doctor, and see about going up to 15 mg. If I'm going to keep going up doses, I want to start moving up faster; or it will seriously take me until Christmas just to arrive at 20 mg.

Day 35 on 10 mg. 5 weeks done!

Anxiety when I went to bed last night. Eventually I had to take a trazadone in order to sleep.

Rotten day today, but for once I can't blame it all on the meds not working yet. We ended up giving the puppy back; I just couldn't handle it right now. I'm feeling so much guilt over it, and really in a low mood. Plus, it's "my time of the month" (started Monday), which probably isn't helping matters any. And, my son is having issues with his feet now that football has started, so it's iffy if he'll be able to continue to play, which will crush him. Added to all that, I'm teaching/supervising a children's jewelry making class tomorrow, which has me nervous.

I've had anxiety off and on, very low mood all day, and the feeling of dread coming over me at times. No appetite. I weighed myself last night, and I've now lost 26 pounds since April. I considered again this morning switching to a different antidepressant. I really have my doubts this one will work for me. I do want to give it a fair shot though. I guess it's possible I could still see benefits in a few weeks , or upping to a higher dose. Plus, those feelings of dread really come over me when I think about having to switch to something else.

Day 36 on 10 mg.

I feel asleep on my own easily last night, and slept straight through, without waking even once. I did wake really early (5:30), but I'll take it :-).

I woke up again really shaky. Not sure if it's because I haven't been eating much?

I lounged in bed until 6:45 or so, in a rather low mood. Shortly before I got out of bed, I got those "fun" feelings of dread. I thought I had seen the last of the morning dread, as it had been a good month or so since that popped up. I guess it's back again. I did not have any anxiety though, so that's good!

All morning, I'd have the feeling of dread come over me, for no apparent reason.

I started to perk up in the afternoon. Work went really well (the kid's class I had to supervise/host). A bit of anxiety when driving to work, but I was fine once I got there and started working. I think it actually improved my mood.

When I got home, I was starving, and ate a candy bar. I got this buzzy/hyped up feeling that wasn't like anxiety, but my heart was thumping around. Maybe from the sugar? It was a bit strange. Later I calmed down, and was very relaxed.

This evening, my anxiety level has been really low, but I'm still not in the best mood. I just feel really flat.

Still waiting for a definite sign that this med is going to work for me....;-).

Hello NervousKel,
    It seems that your response to the escitalopram is mirroring mine in two ways: the feeling starving and the “hyped up” feeling.

I am hungry all of the time now. I won’t give in to it, because I’ve managed to lose 30 pounds this year and don’t want to put it back on, but the constant hunger is awful.

I told my psych about feeling wired. It’s not a negative feeling, it’s over-excitement and agitation. Some of my muscles twitch.

On the plus side, my anxiety has pretty much gone. I drove yesterday, which was only the second time this year!

What I din’t Have is the dread, and I know that feeling of old.

So it would seem your response to the drug is changing. I hope the dread goes, and the hyped-up feeling. It seems this drug just keeps on giving, in different ways! That’s why I feel I have to give each dose change a fair time to work.

I’m still on 12.5 mg. I may go down to 10. Not sure yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    Hello NervousKel,
    It seems that your response to the escitalopram is mirroring mine in two ways: the feeling starving and the “hyped up” feeling.

I am hungry all of the time now. I won’t give in to it, because I’ve managed to lose 30 pounds this year and don’t want to put it back on, but the constant hunger is awful.

I told my psych about feeling wired. It’s not a negative feeling, it’s over-excitement and agitation. Some of my muscles twitch.

On the plus side, my anxiety has pretty much gone. I drove yesterday, which was only the second time this year!

What I din’t Have is the dread, and I know that feeling of old.

So it would seem your response to the drug is changing. I hope the dread goes, and the hyped-up feeling. It seems this drug just keeps on giving, in different ways! That’s why I feel I have to give each dose change a fair time to work.

I’m still on 12.5 mg. I may go down to 10. Not sure yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    It's so strange: I kind of feel like I'm getting side effects now that I didn't get when I first started, or upped the dosage?

---------- Post added at 02:59 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

Day 37 on 10 mg.

I had to take a trazadone last night in order to sleep. I'm starting to suspect and accept that I might just always have to take one/two sometimes. I really need to quit worrying about it.

Strange day today. No anxiety or dread upon waking up.

As the day went on, a small amount of anxiety/nervousness. But....some depression! It's like I'm now starting to go the other way. It peaked in the afternoon, and then decreased as the day went on. We spent a fun afternoon at the zoo and then a museum, and I just felt rather down and emotionless. I don't know if it's the escit, or just "me". It did go away after dinner. I also felt a bit spaced out, but that could be because I'm still not eating much.

Tonight I got really tired while sitting on the couch; I nearly fell asleep several times. No anxiety.

Lots of back and forth with myself today as to when/if I should change meds, or bump up the escit. I felt so rotten this afternoon that I figured I would go on something else ASAP. Now, tonight I've made a 180 since I'm feeling better, and think I should wait the full 8 weeks, then go up to 15mg if necessary. This constant thinking about it is annoying. I guess when I'm no longer constantly thinking about it, I'll know the meds are working, whatever medication it may be;-).

Day 2 on 15 mg.

I finally bumped up to 15 mg.;-).

So far, for side effects I've been feeling really spaced out. I also had a slight headache last night, and I feel a bit "buzzy" and just not myself.

I'm having little to no anxiety! Rather a blah mood, though. I hope this flat mood/lack of happiness and no excitement is a temporary thing.

My sleep has gotten a bit worse the last few nights, even before I switched to 15 mg. I've now convinced myself that I'll have insomnia for the rest of my life. Does anyone else have that issue, and what meds do you take to help with it?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information