Thread: scared to take seroquel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

scared to take seroquel

I just picked up my pill bottle of 25MG of Seroquel. I am supposed to just take 1/2 of a tablet at night. Is Seroquel supposed to build up in your system? What effect does it have on anxiety? Right now i increased my dosage of Trintellix and i feel like i am loosing my mind. The doctor wants me to add this to see if we can quiet things down. I wake up shaking everyday and just feel tense and anxious all the time. I'm scared of gaining more weight from this med. I have already gained 35 pounds from overeating caused by other meds that made me constantly hungry. Will i be okay from taking seroquel? Can it cause panic attacks. Please help.

Re: scared to take seroquel

Hi Ethansmom, I can hear or read the anxiety that you have over starting seroquel.. but listen. You are already in an anxious state of mind through taking your anti depressant. Seroquel for me was a ‘gentle’ drug - it is sedating and does make you a bit more hungry but 25mg is a small dosage and won’t impact you largely.... I have been on every dose up to 400mg and I am reducing now. It is a good drug for sleep and to numb you but that’s what it did to me. I think I need to set you straight on the benzo front tho and nothing feels like a benzo - pregablin can have a similar mode of action as a benzo but all the rest work differently. Sodium valproate works on gaba receptors too the other drugs work on serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine.... you seem to be quite sensitive to Meds so take it slow. If you are going to end up on an antipsychotic you may want to look at zypreza too? As that is meant to be an anxiety killer but all of them will dull you down

Don't be scared, don't be scared!! Seroquel has helped me lots. You won't be hungry or gain weight from such a small dose. It takes some time to build up in your system and it reinforces the calming effect of the anti-depressant you're on, if you're on one. Please don't be worried and just give it a go.

Thank you Benajamin and Ana! I will try it tonight. I am feeling heightened anxiety from the Trintellix increase and worried the Seroquel will make it worse. Do you guys think I should go back down to 5MG of Trintellix? Maybe I should have given that longer?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Trintellix... Is it a sedative or an anti-depressant? I doubt you'll be disappointed by Seroquel. Let us know how you get on.

Trintellix (formerly known as Brintellix) is an antidepressent. I am going to lower my dose tonight. I can't handle the increased anxiety. i feel worse on it now than i did before. I ACTUALLY took 12.5MG of seroquel last night and it knocked me out in about 35 minutes! I woke up very groggy and in a dream like state. Unfortunately, I had to drink coffee to wake me up, and THEN i had extreme anxiety and had to take klonopin. Its like a vicious circle!! what do i do? I really want to drop the trintellix and try something else or just stay on Klonopin forever if possible. I'm in a horrible state right now. I fighting to stay awake right now, and feeling slightly anxious. I cannot take another klonopin right now otherwise i'll be fast asleep at my desk. I'm at work :(

Hi ya,

So the antidepressant you are taking is fairly new and is only
    Licensed for depression. It seems you have more anxiety than depression have you thought about trying a tricyclic?

The issue you have is that all anti depressants increase anxiety or depression or suicidal thoughts at the start of taking them and if you can’t see through the start ups then it’s never going to treat the issue? So unfortunately you are going to have to feel uncomfortable somewhat : either at the start ups of the med or without the meds.

Klonopin is for anxiety and I read that you are at 2mg if that at present you need to use the klonopin to ride the start ups so the anti depressant will kick in so 6-8 weeks...

Klonopin will affect you in a different way to Seroquel. The latter will make you sleepy at first, but unlike the former, you can take it for a long time and not suffer any ill-effects. Klonopin, on the other hand, causes cognitive damage when taken for a prolonged period of time and is highly addictive.

Yes- benjamn your right. I need to keep taking the 10mg to see if it will work. My doctor says it will also heko anxiety, but its not licensed for that. The trintellix makes me shake and i had that. I just want to feel normal. I took a quarter of 25 mg tablet last night and knocked out. Felt so calm when i woke up. Started to get a headache from cofee withdrawl. Had a cup of cofee and was fine. Once it worr off, i got anxious again and took klonopin. Hopefully i csn reduce my klonopin dosage and replace with seroquel at night. Im just worried about all th weight gain stories i here with seroquel. I cant even gain another pound!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Yes- benjamn your right. I need to keep taking the 10mg to see if it will work. My doctor says it will also heko anxiety, but its not licensed for that. The trintellix makes me shake and i had that. I just want to feel normal. I took a quarter of 25 mg tablet last night and knocked out. Felt so calm when i woke up. Started to get a headache from cofee withdrawl. Had a cup of cofee and was fine. Once it worr off, i got anxious again and took klonopin. Hopefully i csn reduce my klonopin dosage and replace with seroquel at night. Im just worried about all th weight gain stories i here with seroquel. I cant even gain another pound!!!!

Hi ethansmom,
    Your right you need to stick at it with an antidepressant and ride the bad times to get the good. It’s easier said than done and I know that man especially when you get dark thoughts and feelings it feels like for ever. I used to take seroquel at night and morning . 200 at night and 150 at morning and tha sorted me out to be fair. I also take regular benzo’s but recently with a reduction to 200mg seroquel , 45mg mirtazapine and 160mg propranolol I’ve not needed a benzo’s for 3 weeks. So it is true when you find the med for you you wil stop taking klonopin trust me.

Thread Information