Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain eating amoeba

Brain eating amoeba

I live in Denmark, and the weather is hot and the sun is shinning theese days. So today my daugther and I went to a friends House to swim in their swimmingpool. The pool was clean and the water was bright and clear. I know they use chlorine to disinfect the pool. Unfortunatley I got water up my nose during the swimming. Not just a little bit. Nom I’m so affaid, I’ve been infected with a brain eating amoeba, and I will die in a few weeks. I can’t remember the name, but it begins with a N. I’m so sad, crying right now and scared. Ohh my - I hate my life and anxiety.

Re: Brain eating amoeba

Quote Originally Posted by MissDk View Post
    The pool was clean and the water was bright and clear. I know they use chlorine to disinfect the pool.
    No matter what your anxiety is telling you, it's absolutely impossible in chlorinated water.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for your answer. At first I also thought that the brain eating amoeba didn’t live in water with chlorine in it. But then I googled and found an article about an episode in the US where a young boy (or was it a girl) got the amoeba, and it was mentioned in the article, that the water was disinfected with clorine and some other things. But it wasn’t enough to kill the amoeba... I’m sure I also got it, and now I’m just waiting for the next symptoms to show ��

Thank you for your answer. At first I also thought that the brain eating amoeba didn’t live in water with chlorine in it. But then I googled and found an article about an episode in the US where a young boy (or was it a girl) got the amoeba, and it was mentioned in the article, that the water was disinfected with clorine and some other things. But it wasn’t enough to kill the amoeba... I’m sure I also got it, and now I’m just waiting for the next symptoms to show ��
    You Googled! Of course! Seriously, there's just no way on earth you got infected! Besides... Denmark? I don't believe there was ever a indigenous case there. When I was in my early 20's, I worked for a pool company. The amount of chlorine used in pools is FAR greater than any used in drinking water. Why do you think you smell like chlorine after a swim in a pool?

Enjoy your day!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

O
    But then I googled

Have you checked for the flying spaghetti monster, I heard it was resistant to chlorine?

Kidding aside, there is only one problem that is plaguing you - it is brain eating anxiety, not amoeba. Do not google, treat anxiety and keep swimming - it will work wonders for both your mental and physical health.

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    O

I agree with this, some people like to live in a fantasy world!!

Today I woke up with a terrible headache. I know one of the symptoms if you are infectef is headache. Coinsidence? I think not. I haven’t slept all night. I’m scared to death. I asked my friend after our visit yesterda about the disinfection as I couldn’t smell the chlorine. She said, she checks the chlorine as well as the waters pH-level daily and it is in the area where it should be. I know it is stupid to google. Damn the internet! I’am treating my anxiety as I have gone to therapy for a year now. Why did I jump into that pool? If I haven’t done that, I wouldnt be in this situation right know...

Oh dear, even in Denmark do someone obsess themselfe over this nonsense about the evil brain eating bacteria that lives in all water and magically transfer yourself from your nose into the brain

OP, try this: imagine that it is not you but someone else you know who obsessively ask you if they get a deadly brain eating virus from getting water up the nose(which I believe every single human on this entire planet have done many times in their life without even thinking about it)and obsesses themself about it over and over. Would you think that is normal? Would you not think that is crazy? Try to imagine yourself from the perspective of others before you obsess yourself over this. Do you think this is normal?
    Do you think you are the only person in this world, or at least the only person in your country who got water up their nose? Come on; I mean not to be harsh; but outside of the circles of this forum people would reply with "dont ask such stupid questions!". Have you talked to people in the real world that you are obsessing yourself over a virtually non-existing amoeba? Your daughter swimmed in that pool to and many others. Come on.

Enjoy the summer and forget about this brain eating vampire nonsense. There are no such things. And stop googling. Hold nu opp med det der

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

GOOGLED!
    Stop that now!

I think that for some, the only way to treat health anxiety is to deprieve them of acess to the Internet. Easier said then done of course in this day and age; but maybe a few weeks of digital detox will do the trick.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Today I woke up with a terrible headache. I know one of the symptoms if you are infectef is headache. Coinsidence? I think not. I haven’t slept all night. I’m scared to death. I asked my friend after our visit yesterda about the disinfection as I couldn’t smell the chlorine. She said, she checks the chlorine as well as the waters pH-level daily and it is in the area where it should be. I know it is stupid to google. Damn the internet! I’am treating my anxiety as I have gone to therapy for a year now. Why did I jump into that pool? If I haven’t done that, I wouldnt be in this situation right know...
    It is sad to read that you are ruining your own summer with this nonsense and therefore you should contact your doctor to aslk what can be done woth your obsessive over the top anxiety. Maybe even medication while waiting to meet n anxiety therepaut. My doc was so kind she provided me with zobril which is working for my anxiety when it really bites; not that I am advocating anti-depressive pills; but when it get really hard and stop you from functioning. I am not going to answer your mind play about BEA nonsense; no matter what people here write you will still obsess over it. I see that so seek help for your anxiety. It is not good to read that you are suffering such wwhen you have a daughter to take care of.

You blame the pool. Classic. If you had not jumped in that pool you would have thought up something else too convince you that you were deadly ill. Because that is the nature of the hypocondriac. Small incidents that are normal to most people in the planet becomes a deadly threat in the mind of the hypocondriac so dont blame the swimming pool. It is a much larger and underlying problem and that is not the swimming pool. You may get drinking water up the nose next week or accidently get dirty water from a car rushing by and you would be over the net with fear of brain eating amoeba again. Or something else. I was in denial about this in the past and blamed incidents but the anxiety lingers under the surface constantly just waiting for a trigger point. And that is why you need to treat it.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    I agree with this, some people like to live in a fantasy world!!

They/we dont like it, but it is an obsession. Many hypocondriacs also have elements of OCD, and I believe that I have that too.

Thank you so much for your long reply paranoid-viking. Jeg sætter virkelig pris på det! Even though I’m not able to take it in in this very moment. I sure will read your answer later (if I’m not dead in the meantime of the amoeba). It is just that I have a terrible headache, nousea and dizzines and have had all day. It freeks me out, because I will get theese symptoms, if I’m infected. And from then on it will only get worse. I have a doctors appointment in 5 minutes. Maybe I should talk to him about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information