Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright Directive Panic

Copyright Directive Panic

Guys, this is an emergency! The fate of the free world is at stake! The corporatists are desperate and Article 13 can give them the opportunity to regain the upper hand. You should know that a law like this could mark the beginning of a totalitarian future, because it is impossible to predict how the big companies will abuse it! As you can imagine, I'm terrified. If this goes through I'll have to leave the country, and I can't take that! Please... tell me there's a good side in all this...?

Re: Copyright Directive Panic

Well, one thing that springs to mind is that this is from the EU and last I looked they could only impact their member states:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...EX:52016PC0593

Until we understand what Brexit will even be we won't have a clue how the UK is affected.

Given companies like Facebook just ship out of the EU to avoid things they don't want to do I wonder how ISSP's might respond? And will the EU be able to stop anyone outside of their jurisdiction allowing users within their jurisdiction still doing it?

I have no idea what it is - can you explain?

Why do you have to leave the country?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have no idea what it is - can you explain?

Why do you have to leave the country?
    Me neither, had to look it up. A bit of a quiet potential future EU directive. Look towards the bottom of that link.

There are a few online articles about it. It seems to be an attempt to prevent copyright infringement by forcing ISSPs to add technology to stop it or find infringements.

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

On another note, Uganda are imposing a social media tax. That would help the NHS if we did it, diamond encrusted beds all round from the cash that would rake in

https://saveyourinternet.eu/about-this-campaign/

"Article 13 is a provision in the proposed EU Copyright Directive mandating that all content uploaded to the internet be monitored and potentially deleted if a likeness to existing copyrighted content is detected. This provision will be voted on by the end of 2018."

"If you are a creator or independent business, the content that you upload to share with your audience might be deleted without your consent. Creators include but are not limited to artists –such as cartoonists, gamers, illustrators, photographers, documentary filmmakers, animators, musicians, DJs, and dancers,– bloggers, journalists, and technologists."

"Online platforms will be required to implement complex and expensive filtering systems and will be held liable for copyright infringement, potentially incurring fines that threaten their economic viability."

This would be disastrous. We wouldn't be able to create anything anymore!

I don't think it is disastrous at all - it is stopping people stealing other people's work.

Why do you have to leave the country over this - I don't understand.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Check it again: Article 13 would restrict the ability of Internet users to consume content – meaning they won’t be able to find and enjoy diverse kinds of cultural expressions that they have grown accustomed to. The days of communicating through gifs and memes, listening to our favourite remixes online or sharing videos of our friends singing at karaoke might be coming to an end.

Ultimately, the internet culture that has emerged in recent years – a culture that enables connections and democratises information – will become bureaucratic and restrictive. Many of your daily activities on the Internet will no longer be possible, blocked by automated filters that are unable to recognize your rights under EU law.

That's one interpretation of it. I can't say in too concerned about memes to be honest.

Another might be that companies will have to invest more money in this technology, hence be adversely affected and as big companies lobby against it, and copyright owners will have to field tons more requests costing them money.

And what about software that allows copyright infringement, or perhaps enables it is a better phrase? Won't that need banning across the EU too? So more lost cash by companies.

I doubt banning karaoke is likely. By a similiar token will they also be banning you using copyrighted phraseology? Funnily enough much of this actually gains publicity for brands.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I don't think it is disastrous at all - it is stopping people stealing other people's work.

Why do you have to leave the country over this - I don't understand.
    Nor me Nic cant see what all the fuss is about and really don't give a monkey's about it there's more important things to worry about ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    there's more important things to worry about ATB
    True, but then again, is it any different or irrational than a brain eating amoeba or the myriad of irrational fears posted here?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information