Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright Directive Panic

Re: Copyright Directive Panic

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    The whole point of this law is to allow the EU and governments to control what people see. They don't actually really care about the economic effect.
    Censorship of the Internet is required for businesses to operate lawfully and ethically. A lot of the world is dependent on it for communication, and business. So it has to be done.

But, I do not agree with it one bit. The state of the Internet today is far removed from the original definition by Tim Berners-Lee's. Not so long back Facebook redefined the "open web" as to shadow Tim Berners-Lee's definition of the "open web" and redefine it.

The Internet is now a place for commerce, click bait, false/bias news, censorship, spying, intentional backdoors left in software and everything else nasty.

It's affected political outcomes that have destroyed democratic values. Look at Facebook. After all their scandals and flaws (and even today they have another one relating to 2FA and data harvesting) they still exist, and they still thrive. There's only 2 reasons for that:

1. Facebook is funded by agencies that work with the Government (I need mention no names)
    2. People give Facebook the power they have by continuing to invest and support the platform

But in either case that doesn't negate the fact the platform is bad. The Internet has become a place for propaganda and indoctrination by all sorts of cults, political parties, conspiracy theorists, psdueoskeptics etc.

People in general are becoming more aware of the bad actors on the Internet that are controlling it. But, it's the users that put them there and keep them there, so who is really to blame? Do you know how easy it would be to kill Facebook? If the world deletes their account by the morning they'll be hanging out to dry. The problem is people won't do it. They're invested in it for whatever reason be it business, personal etc.

The battle is lost when you can't even trust the operating system or software you're using. Most of society will just nod in agreement and do nothing about.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

They're people, they're just people... I don't want to lose my friends, I really don't.

Frank, why would you lose your friends?

Well, if I won't be able to share my work online, nobody will know me! Why.... without anywhere to share my work to the world, I've got nothing... I wouldn't want to carry on.
    Last edited by FrankT; 09-03-19 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Well, if I won't be able to share my work online, nobody will know me! Why.... without anywhere to share my work to the world, I've got nothing... I wouldn't want to carry on.
    I have been reading about this today, what makes you think that you wouldn’t be able to share your works? I’m also a creator and am interested in your thoughts on this

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Fan art, fan literature. Work that shows I'm a fan of something.

You still could but wouldn't it mean avoiding imagery already owned by someone else? I realise that's a big backward step in this particulr market but I'm wondering just how big you are and whether you can work around it?

I do think you need to look at your thought processes on this though, Frank. You are not defined solely by one thing in your life, there are many parts to you.

Maybe you want to be big & successful but you know most don't make it. Good luck to you and so you should aim for the stars if that's what you want but please try to remember everyone else finds other ways to carry on and makes the best of what life deals them.

Yes... but without the internet, that's going to be all the harder.

What I was wondering is whether even if this came in you and others could reduce it to the point of being largely worthless by a large collective of image sharers who allow full use of their images to create memes? They can't stop you allowing others to use your images from what I saw of the original draft legislation (I haven't read the two updates) but it left a hole allowing for the creator to waive their copyright just as sites now add disclaimers about fair use.

You could all collaborate a large library online and the EU couldn't do anything about it.

There are also VPN's that allow for crossing boundaries for those who want to look outside the EU.

I do have a VPN, but a) They won't protect us from the economic effects, and b) What's stopping the EU from banning VPNs as well?

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information