Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Copyright Directive Panic

Re: Copyright Directive Panic

I really don't see it as that Frank.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Some things to consider are the fact the experts say the tech doesn't even exist. This is politicians voting for something they want to see but it firmly pushes all the work on the companies to achieve it.

It will be interesting to see if they try to introduce charging mechanisms. That would mean armies of staff chasing payments when this is to spot millions of people posting the odd thing as well as those who do it commercially.

But then all you need to do is host your images outside of the EU and they have no way to enforce anything on you. So does that mean they will have to force search engines to censor what is legally done in other countries?

There are people now who have for years avoided breaches in professional standards simply because they put their websites in another country.

Didn't Facebook do something similar to avoid recent EU law changes? They just shifted their operations outside of the EU yet the customers being serviced are in the EU.

Anyway, Brexit .

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    This isn't just about internet pictures. It's about the total annihilation of freedom of speech and human rights! And it ties in with the rise of fascism in Europe too!
    Isn't the core issue taking someone else's work without their permission?

That it may be - but if you remember: the politicians behind these articles seem to be either oblivious or completely unconcerned with the issues their constituents have with the bills. I'm getting a sense of financial collusion, and, as I said before, corporatism.

I'm getting a sense of financial collusion, and, as I said before, corporatism.
    It's already that way Frank. In the music industry, they quickly figured out a way to monetize the system and record companies, music retail sites and streaming sites are making a fortune and the artists get squat.

My CD gets streamed all over the world. I can look at my stats on CD Baby. Do you know how much I make on a stream from Spotify? Try $.001! That means I have to have 1000 streams to make $1!

There's NOTHING I can do about it either so.....

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 16-09-18 at 18:13.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That it may be - but if you remember: the politicians behind these articles seem to be either oblivious or completely unconcerned with the issues their constituents have with the bills. I'm getting a sense of financial collusion, and, as I said before, corporatism.
    I seriously doubt they understand it. The whole legislation just demands something but doesn't define how to achieve it and pushes all the hassle onto private companies. In some ways this might be a bonus because it will give those companies a powerful lobby to push back with. The other side will be such as the music companies & artists so it might become a matter of who moans the most and I get the impression this has been a bit muted as where are the likes of Google not wishing to spends many millions on this project?

It may just be removed again?

I don't think constituents really matter with this one. It's just not a big issue to many of them. And it's MEP's, can anyone even point their MEP? That's been one of the reasons for Brexit, the remoteness of Brussels. How do Brussels have a clue what the average person wants?

The EU was conceived for big business, it helped the common man with some rights along the way but it was always about fat cats. It's nice to be able to move around Europe (I should say the EU such Europe is a much bigger place) but hasn't anyone thought that if it wasn't in the interests of the employers to get all those cheap workers, and drive down wages, those so called rights would never have come into being?

The EU is trying to tighten regs up in some areas e.g. taxation. There are some good things, like harmonisation to cut down on tax haven style countries like ROI (and Junkers country which he was PM for when he introduced these tax reductions! ), but there is too much need for centralisation of it all i.e. an EU minister for finance. They seem to lurch back & forth.

But remember Frank they can't stop VPN's this way. They only cost a couple of £ per month and they are located in countries that don't have legislation supporting divulging client names for a reason. Unless the EU bring in legislation to sort that out they won't stop a lot of people anyway unless they are planning on going full China mode and blocking out lots of websites.

Unless they block out I can't see how this is going to work. Does the legislation prevent me taking material from a US site and posting it inside the EU? If the copyright was infringed on the US side aren't they liable rather than me?

On top of that, some sites are just outright blocking EU IPs at the moment until they can figure out some sort of content filtering system to make their site legal in the EU.

Is that over the GDPR though?

Yes, that is entirely possible. But that's an easier thing to solve - unlike this.

I know it was asked and you gave a general answer, but if something like this became the norm and law, how does this affect you personally and why? What about the thought of this happening is causing you so much anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I already explained this! European People will be basically banned from uploading any fan content!

I won't get new fanfics from people in Europe. I won't get new fan art from people in Europe. Not even memes, or YouTube, or anything!

Because they'll be automatically filtered and blocked!

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information