Thread: Still struggling - too many symptoms.

Still struggling - too many symptoms.

I've tried hard to resist posting, but I am lost again, and would love some support.

I've had stomach issues (constant loose stools, no bleeding) for nearly five months. I had a colonoscopy and my doctor said I had mild diverticulosis, and that I should eat more fiber. He also prescribed a resin for me to take to firm up my stools. The latter was working, but this morning and yesterday it didn't. On top of that, I am having what I think is silent reflux - very occasional food in my throat (once/month), post nasal drip, hoarse voice, throat clearing, etc. I started taking some Omeprazole the other day, which seems to be working, and has done before.

This is on top of the other fears I've experienced over the past few months, which include anxiety, on and off tingle in my foot, middle of the night insomnia (solved with some sleep aids), eye tiredness (but no vision loss), an eye twitch, and random aches and pains all over. Nothing has prevented me from going to work, and nothing is CONSTANT, but I am scared. I just feel off and all over the place.

My doctors are not dismissive at all, although my GP is pretty sure this is all anxiety. She'll see me as often as I need, but I don't want to do it just for reassurance.

So now, my biggest fear: I am really worried this is MS. My GP has said she's 99.9% sure that's not the case, but was happy to refer me to a neurologist for peace of mind (I pressed her as to whether or not this was the way she was gently encouraging me to go, and she said no). She said that the onset - both timing and type of symptoms I'm experiencing - is not in line with it at all. I want to trust her, but I feel so terrible that it's hard to do. I am worried, too, that seeing the neurologist won't give me peace of mind, and I'll want a scan. I don't want to expose myself to too many tests just because I am panicked. Not sure what to do :/

I go to therapy, and have Xanax for sleep which I use sparingly. My doc has prescribed me an SSRI, which for whatever reason, I am not ready to take. I saw an integrative nutritionist yesterday, who I am excited to get started with on my stomach stuff.

Any advice welcome.

Re: Still struggling - too many symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousinCali View Post
    Any advice welcome.
    Listen to your doctor, take the meds prescribed and improve your diet. Pretty simple really.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Somewhere inside my head, I know you're right, FishmanPA. I am just worried that I am covering something up here that needs more attention than an SSRI. I know that's everyone's fear here, but for whatever reason, I'm worried it's real in my case.

I wish I knew why my bowels were still off really. I don't think it's just anxiety, and I probably should reach out to my GI doc about what else I should try for those.

Do my symptoms make anyone else think I need to chase this up with a nuero?

Your own words....

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousinCali View Post
    I'm no stranger to anxiety, but health anxiety is relatively new to me. Over the last few months, my stomach has gone completely awry, I was shaky, constant pins and needles all over my body, I stopped sleeping, etc. My particular fear was related to neurological conditions, but I ended up diagnosing myself with a few cancers along the way. You all know the drill with this stuff - it's a dark, dark hole.

Well, I finally went to my GP for my anxiety (and not my myriad of perceived illnesses) and started the conversation about medication. I left with a few prescriptions, and a lot of appreciation for her. I've been really lucky - she's incredibly kind, patient, and compassionate, and she's been pretty open about her own struggles with anxiety so I don't feel so alone with it. And she's been so reassuring about the process of anxiety and medication.

That night, I took a pill and slept for the first time in months. The next morning, I felt like my old self - patient, measured, focused, happy. I'm far from out of the woods, but I am so grateful to have had a good night's sleep. All of this stuff is completely magnified by lack of sleep, and I felt like I was really starting to lose it.

But, truly, the best "medicine" was just listening to my GP. It felt so good! Sure, she is human and can make mistakes, but she knows a lot more about how medical conditions present than I do. Plus, when my stomach was off for a little too long, she sent me to the GI doc. And he sent me for a colonoscopy. And all was fine this time. Neither of them was trying to bar me from care or incompetent or ignoring my symptoms. I'm lucky because I have great providers, but it feels SO much better to trust them than to question their every move. Switching that mindset, and getting some sleep, is the first thing that's really had me feeling relaxed in months (and I run, meditate, do art, work fulltime, have a rich social life, etc. - NOTHING else was working).

I know none of this is revolutionary, but for those struggling who have received all clears from healthcare professionals, please try to trust that they know what they're doing. Because that's the only thing that's gotten me back to my old self in months, and that's what I'll try to hold onto if the cycle starts again.
    Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Ha, that's a good reminder! Thank you for that, FishmanPA, and thank you for responding.

I did just take a beta blocker that was prescribed to me months ago for anxiety that I also didn't take until now (starting to see a pattern here...). It kicked in pretty quickly, thankfully.

My anxiety usually rages upon waking, so I think the day progressing is also making a big difference.

Hope you are having a decent day!

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 ----------

It's been a rough morning for me. Wish I didn't want this reassurance from the internet, but I do. Here's a list of the symptoms I've had over the last year:

1. Shaking hands/tremor (on and off, mostly when I think about it, which is all the time)
    2. Random muscle twitching including eyelids
    3. Insomnia/feeling poorly rested after I sleep

4. Diarrhea
    5. Pins and needles all over (mostly in my left foot, comes and goes)
    6. Silent reflux

Ugh. Has anyone else had these exact symptoms and made it through? I'm so over it.

Thread Information