Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Residual dizziness after vertigo

Residual dizziness after vertigo

Hi i'm new to this forum. So my story began from last march this year i got my first ever vertigo ( not sure if it was BPPV ) for like 1 week and afterwards things get progressively better but during the recovery process sometimes i felt elevator sensation as if the elevator has arrived at destined floor like theres sensation of elevator floor softly drop . I wonder if anyone here have the same problem and get better or completely cured ?? This is almost my 3rd month and i think much of it has to do with anxiety dizzy cycle , breathing problem and neck problem , is that true ? And i wonder if this problem leave permanent "damage" in my brain like i would never be the same again ? I'm still aware and afraid if this will happen to me soon and oh by the way pardon my english hehe.. Thank you very much
    Last edited by Daniel Nugraha; 04-06-18 at 00:29. Reason: For more appropriate reading

Re: Residual dizziness after vertigo

Anxiety can certainly prolong recovery and leave residual effects from an inner ear vertigo/dizzy problem such as BPPV. And in fact, anxiety is a common side effect of these problems, so don't beat yourself up over it. It will pass eventually.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi thank you so much for reply ! Yeah i just worry because it seems the recovery progress pretty stagnant now , but i'm quite aware and always stay alert for the attacks so maybe that's what holding the progress (?)

Yes I think being alert to it can indeed. I'm in a similar situation (not BPPV), and I've finally improved to a point where I now don't often feel dizzy/off balance so long as I'm sufficiently distracted, but if I find myself "checking in" to see how it feels, I start feeling it a little more!

Glad to know that , i totally can relate cuz i too always tryin to "check in" as well .How long have you been in this situation ? I ve been reading so many stories of people having similiar case and been suffering for years , i never see one case where people get completely back to normal which make me questioning wether this leaves permanent "damage" even tho i personally think problem like this shouldn't be permanent. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nugraha View Post
    Glad to know that , i totally can relate cuz i too always tryin to "check in" as well .How long have you been in this situation ? I ve been reading so many stories of people having similiar case and been suffering for years , i never see one case where people get completely back to normal which make me questioning wether this leaves permanent "damage" even tho i personally think problem like this shouldn't be permanent. Thank you
    About 4 months for me. Mine is Vestibular Neuritis. I've read a lot of stories too during this time, but I think that people just don't go back and post after recovery much. I've seen some.

There are so many different things that can cause symptoms like this (including anxiety) that it would be impossible to know a timeframe of recovery, but I haven't seen much to indicate that these things are often permanent.

Have you seen an ENT doctor? Depending on what it is, there are various treatments that can help recovery go faster. GP's don't often know a lot about inner ear problems so that may be a good idea.

oh good , hmm but there are people who suffer this kind of symptoms for more than 10 years but no further update , so i thought it could be permanent. by the way I've seen both neurologist and ENT doctor and even did brain MRI scan , they both said nothing wrong.Also the ENT doc checked my ear and nothing seems to be wrong as well..so that's pretty confusing. My vertigo only last about 1 week tho and then til now i suffer this remaining dizzy sensation. Thankfully the dizziness come and go , it's not always there , seems to me triggered by body / head movement or stance. How about yours ?

That's good news what the docs said. It rules out anything serious! For me, after getting the clear brain scans (I did a few different ones!) it really helped my anxiety to calm down a lot. Which of course also helped my symptoms improve too!

There are some permanent ear things, I think Menieres Disease is, but an ENT should be able to diagnose that if you had it, mine said he ruled it out for me.

Mine off balance feeling is pretty much constant, although the intensity comes and goes, and has been getting less and less, very slowly over time. Head position or stance doesn't usually change it for me but head movements can do it, like if I look around several places quickly. Body position plays a role, lying down I am always perfectly fine. I'm thankful for that, as I'm able to sleep normal.

It's very annoying and frustrating, so I feel for you! The best ways I've been able to deal with it is to try to stop "checking in", and also to stop thinking about when it will finally go away, I try now to just think about today and let tomorrow happen tomorrow. Probably not a coincidence that those strategies also reduce anxiety!

Hi there , i see...and now you feel completely back to normal like before u get this symptoms ? Hmm i did audiometry test and the result show no hearing loss still in normal range ( 0-10db ) so i think it's not meniere , yesterday i feel better , almost no symptoms at evening and night , and i'm trying to reduce anxiety just like what you've said. Hope it could go back to normal as i were before . [COLOR="blue"]

Glad to hear it's getting a little better for you! I'm not all the way better yet. Maybe about 85-90% back to normal. But glad that it's gotten this far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information