Thread: I need a reality check

I need a reality check

So, I've been having symptoms in my anal/tailbone area for about 5 months. I've had the area examined 3 times, as well as an x Ray. I get a feeling in my butt crack (sorry TMI) like a rash, as well as some burning in anus. My tailbone feels bruised at times. Doctors have done blood tests as well and said it's all perfectly fine. I also had an abdominal ultrasound back in the fall, which was fine. This all started when I had a terrible case of diarrhea due to a virus and exacerbated by my health anxiety. I'm just so sick of worrying about this. Should I still be worried? I want to focus on healing, and I definitely have days where it isn't as bad or is gone. If it was cancer, wouldn't it have progressed and gotten worse by now?

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Could this all be psychosomatic somehow? I would think if it were cancer, I'd have bleeding or it would have progressed. Can something like this take this long to resolve?

Re: I need a reality check

Sounds like a viral infection that exacerbated your HA and now you can’t stop focusing on it. If it was something serious, Drs would’ve picked it up after all the testing. If you can distract yourself from it, I’m sure it will go.

I hope so. It’s just been so long with these symptoms. I haven’t had weight loss, fevers, or any other symptoms, but this HA just wont let go. I’m fighting the urge to make an appointment at the doctor, but I’ve already been so much. I feel sort of hopeless at this point.

If you've had blood tests, x rays and examinations, doctors definitely would have picked up on something serious by now.
    I think you may need help for your health anxiety, after having all these tests done, if you're still worrying about it that's quite an extreme reaction, so that's definitely something to work on! Good luck x

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi. I can honestly imagine/create pains anywhere in my body when my HA flares up and I'm focused on something, to a point where I feel I can't trust my judgment any more about my own body. I figure if something were seriously physically wrong though I'd have red flag symptoms which would make things clearer. HA is an absolute beast.

You've had all the checks and tests here to rule out anything sinister and it's all clear. Yes cancer symptoms would get worse and definitely would not come and go like you're describing.

Also keep in mind that we do just get aches and pains and a lot of other weird stuff that normal human bodies do. It's fine and it doesn't have to mean anything.

Other thing I keep hold of is that when I've experienced really bad pain in my life like child birth or recently when I had a bad UTI, there was absolutely no doubt about symptoms or the degree of pain. It is different from my imagined or created from tension and anxiety pains I get. x

Stomach issues can trigger IBS type symptoms which can last for months, especially if you were prescribed antibiotics. You say it was viral, but sometimes DR's still hand out AB's like sweets.

When I get stressed and/or ill I'll often have the 'arse burn' for several weeks.

The best remedy I've found is checking what I eat, taking good quality pro-biotics and nowadays I do intermittent fasting, which means not eating between about 9-10pm and then waiting until lunchtime the next day, usually around 1-2pm. You can go longer if you want too. It really helps keep the belly happy.

In any case, if you've had everything checked, there's a 99.9999% chance it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the replies. They do really help. I feel like I'm probably ok, but I do wonder why these symptoms can't just resolve so I can feel better. It makes me feel better to hear that some of you have symptoms that last awhile as well. I did take antibiotics at one time, as I had an infected tick bite. I always worry it's cancer, but I do think it would be progressing by now. I've never had bleeding or anything, which also makes me feel somewhat reassured.

Antibiotics absolutely wrecked my digestive system, I mean wrecked it. I had stomach pain, bloating, nausea, indigestion, reflux, constipation (and the opposite) for weeks after I took the last lot, and I've vowed to never take them again unless my life depends on it. Some people are just sensitive to them.

Taking the steps I mentioned helped ME overcome those symptoms though, and I would imagine they would help you too. Fasting in particular is an excellent tool for letting your stomach heal.

Thanks so much for your replies. I do need to focus on a healthy diet and trying to heal my mind and body. I can really work myself up into a state. When I started c bt in feb\march, the symptoms were a lot better. They've been creeping back in lately, but so has my anxiety. i haven't been seeing my therapist, as she and I thought I was so much better. I've had full blood tests 3 times in the last 6 months, plus that x ray, ultrasound, and last August i had a head CT. Ive had 3 digital rectal exams (most people avoid these, and I desperately wanted them, due to needing reassurance) and a fecal blood test.I think this constant anxiety state is wrecking my body, and I do get worried that the anxiety itself will end up making me sick. Such a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiousamyj View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies. I do need to focus on a healthy diet and trying to heal my mind and body. I can really work myself up into a state. When I started c bt in feb\march, the symptoms were a lot better. They've been creeping back in lately, but so has my anxiety. i haven't been seeing my therapist, as she and I thought I was so much better. I've had full blood tests 3 times in the last 6 months, plus that x ray, ultrasound, and last August i had a head CT. Ive had 3 digital rectal exams (most people avoid these, and I desperately wanted them, due to needing reassurance) and a fecal blood test.I think this constant anxiety state is wrecking my body, and I do get worried that the anxiety itself will end up making me sick. Such a vicious cycle.
    You’re ahead of a lot of people because you a) acknowledge the anxiety aspect and b) have taken steps to address it. That’s great. Keep working on it and eventually things will get better.

Thread Information