Thread: Drs appointment

Drs appointment

Hi all,

I asked to be referred to a therapist by my GP whilst I lived in London as I want to talk to someone about my anxiety and low self esteem. I moved to the Midlands recently so am having to go to my new GP as the therapy never came through whilst I was in London.

My GP in London had said that if I felt that medication would help as a short term solution then I should request it. When I see my new GP this coming Monday, I am wondering whether to ask.

My anxiety is getting worse and I am finding it hard to function some days. I mean, I go to work and stuff but its becoming more of an effort and I tend to sit there just feeling anxious about other things that are going on. Its taking over my mind more and more.

I just wondered if people had any advice on medication - will it make me put on weight? I know this sounds vain but I had bullimia for a few years, I'm recovered now, but the psychological side can still rear its ugly head. I have been a stable weight for 18 months and if I put on weight I fear this would do more detriment to my state of mind.

Should I be wary of medication? I dont want to become dependant. I dont really want to resort to medication just because taking something like that worries me a bit. But whilst I am waiting for this therapy, I think I need something to help me through because I am having more bad days than good right now.

Thanks for reading xx

Re: Drs appointment

Hi Lilith, my advice would be for you to go to a GP where you live now and ask all these questions. Sure, there are some antidepressants that cause weight gain but some which don't. If you see a GP you don't connect with, then find someone else. Some GPs are more clued up on mental health problems than others. If you need to take something do so, if not then you might get some therapy where you are now, which you were waiting for in London.

Keep us posted and here's a hug

Thanks Jo, here's one right back at ya!

Hi Lilith

As for whether you want to take a med or not that's really down to you. You need to weigh up the possibility of some dependancy against the possibility of making your symptoms much more managable.

People's opinions go from they would never even consider meds all the way to if they provide a better quality of life, then I'll take them for the rest of my life if need be. No one can force you to take them if you don't want to.

Regarding gaining weight from what I've read, as with all possible side effects. it varies from person to person. Some people post that they've gained weight on a certain med, then a bunch of others reply that it didn't effect them. So although it's probably listed in the possible side effects doesn't mean it will happen to you.

I also agree with Jo, some Doctors are great, some a total waste of time. It doesn't take long to spot which of those they are and, if they're rubbish simply register elsewhere.

Thanks Marc, I will see what my GP says. I definitely want to be referred to therapy so wont be fobbed off on that score. I am still thinking about meds to be honest, I'm a little wary but some days I am really bad and that is when I think about medication. I think I am anxious most days but just get on with things. The feeling stays with me but I keep myself busy.

I'll have a long think over the weekend and discuss with my GP to see what he says.

Hello Lilith,

I've always been very reluctant to take meds for anything - even my migraine tabs !!

But, when my anx got so bad that I just couldn't function, I thought what's the point in being a martyr to it? I took my doc's (and a good friend who was also a GP) advice and started on Citalopram - was only on it for 6mnths but it certainly helped me over the worst time in my life.

Personally, I'd say go for it and see if medication helps you - but take a GP's advice overall.

Take care

Thread Information