Thread: Help-Dentist

Help-Dentist

I finally got over my phobia of the dentist last month (after 30 years) as I needed a lot of work and was in a lot of pain. I've been twice and has fillings and extractions but after the extraction last week ive developed the dreaded dry socket. I had an emergency appt this afternoon and he told me the socket will need cleaned and packed. He numbed me up and went to do it and I had a major panic attack and couldn't breathe . The thought of him poking around in the socket started freaking me out. I had to leave the surgery as I was in a mess and the dentist said I could go back tomorrow but I needed it done ASAP. How do I go tomorrow? I'm freaking out and also freaking out I get infection in my face and bone that kills me :-(

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Re: Help-Dentist

Well done for getting over the fear and going! That's massive after 30 years of it! How did it all go? Did the anxiety fade?

Dentists are very used to anxiety, I think they are more used to seeing it daily than GP's, so have a good manner in dealing with people. What mine said was at any point just raise my hand and he would stop to give me a short break. But what I found worked for me was intently staring at the ceiling light trying to use my mental energy for that as opposed to fear, and it worked.

Don't rush there, rushing around will increase your tension. Sit waiting and do some breathing/relaxation exercises or use techniques that fill your conscious mind (e.g. some people do things like naming A-Z dogs or other linking games. For ideas have a look at a thread by Davit about something her termed "stacking". Take a support person if it helps. Tell yourself it's just the last visit and you are done and you have already done it twice and had work done so you can do this.

Good luck. No matter what happens, you can always return another day.

Thread Information