Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice about pregabalin please

Re: advice about pregabalin please

Hi Sun43 - I take mirtazapine with pregabalin. I also used to get the restless legs from mirtazapine - usually about an hour after taking it, so I'd take it immediately before going to bed and hope that I'd sleep through the legs, which lasted for an hour or so. I'd also get myoclonic jerks to add to the fun. Since I've started taking pregabalin, that all seems to have stopped, so it may work for you as well.

When I was working (I retired in 2016), I would also get the diurnal thing, waking up anxious in anticipation of everything I'd have to do that day, so I'd take all my pregabalin in the evening to try to reduce or prevent that. Now I don't have the stress of work (but other health problems you can see over on the neurologist thread, unfortunately), so I split my dose evenly morning and night, which helps keep me calm. I'm also taking 600 mg daily of pregabalin, so there's room for you to go up , if necessary. Good luck with pregabalin and other meds, whichever way you go.
    Last edited by hanshan; 09-06-18 at 11:48.

thanks hanshan for your advice

i decided to try taking my 300mg in the daytime again, i took it earlier today

it's really given me a spaced out, drunk kind of feeling, and really dry mouth. i imagine some people probably abuse the drug for that feeling - for me though that's not something i want

perhaps i am taking too much (300mg) in one go, i think i might have to try the splitting the dose method, perhaps i will try that tomorrow then

ps. i took the 300mg pregabalin today when i wole up on an empty stomach, does anyone think the effects would be lessened if taken with food instead?
    Last edited by sun43; 18-06-18 at 13:10.

Yes, taking after food will help with slowing absorption. You definately should try splitting the dose but try and get the 150mg capsules. Taking these on an empty stomach and ingesting the powder without a barrier to absorption is a sure fire way to get the PG high feeling.

Tommo x
    Depression
    OCD

Medication:
    200mg Sertraline
    600mg Pregabalin
    150mg Quatiapine

Current Therapy:
    Mindfulness
    ACT

thanks Tommo, im going to just take 150mg tomorrow morning, will split the 300mg capsule

i've actually just woken up from a 2 hour sleep i took at 2pm today. the 300mg taken on an empty stomach made me feel so knocked out that i had to sleep

damn that's annoying i didnt think of the need for the hard shell capsule itself, i thought i could just empty the powder on some paper, split it evenly, and then cut the paper and take the 150mg in a wrap of paper

i think what i will do is, after reading around the internet, it does say officially that if you have trouble swallowing the capsules then you can empty the contents out onto some food, so im going to go with that method i think. i will put half of the powder into eg. some soup or something like that

A wrap of paper is fine :-) You just need something to keep the powder intact until it hits your stomach.

Tommo x
    Depression
    OCD

Medication:
    200mg Sertraline
    600mg Pregabalin
    150mg Quatiapine

Current Therapy:
    Mindfulness
    ACT

if i drunk lots of water with the wrap of paper should that be ok? thanks Tommo

I wouldn't swallow paper at all, unless it's the rice-paper version meant to be eaten, available from Asian food suppliers. If you find the effect is too strong immediately after taking pregabalin, take the dose with enough food to slow absorption down.

You can mix the pregabalin powder into anything vaguely liquid - soup, soft ice-cream, coffee, mashed potato, meat sauce, etc. I don't think it will affect the taste much, but try it to see. Your body should adjust to the dose in time. If not, it may indicate that you don't need so high a dose - we are all different. Good luck.
    Last edited by hanshan; 19-06-18 at 11:10.

thanks i managed to split the dose ok today

i emptied the contents of the 300mg capsule (very soft fine white powder) onto a sheet of paper and then used a blade to separate into 2 halves. then i actually managed fine to put one of the halves back into the capsule. the other half i sprinkled onto some food and that was ok (it did have a funny taste but no big deal)

i'm going to try taking 150mg before bed and 150mg on waking and see how that goes

Good luck with it.

for some people, could pregabalin take say, a month to get working?

the reason i ask is, i did have (and continually seem to have) anxiety in the mornings, which tends to ease off as the day goes on and then usually in the evenings and night i am absolutely fine, but then the next morning it begins all over again

i dont have anything on my mind particularly which bothers me (im not worried about anything in particular, and not dreading the day). it's just 'anxiety' (i would describe it as my body being flooded by something, adrenaline or cortisol i expect).

i thought it might be diurnal mood variation but then im thinking that is more related to the depression side, rather than the anxiety side, but im not sure

i cant take 300mg of pregabalin on waking as then it really hits me, feel very groggy and need to lie down/sleep

taking 300mg of pregabalin before bed doesnt stop some anxiety in the day (although i would say it helps i think)

so thats why im trying 150mg before bed and 150mg in the morning now, to see if that works. im wondering if pregabalin can take some time to work though, as i have not been on it very long. if not, i guess i would have to try to find another med :(
    Last edited by sun43; 19-06-18 at 17:15.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information