Thread: Diabetes

Diabetes

Hi all.

So a few months back I had 3 blood tests done to test my blood sugar. The first 2 came back over 7 and I was told if the 3rd came back high, I might be looking at a diabetes diagnosis. The 3rd one came back in the acceptable range, although the doc said it was still on the higher range. She said they would review again in the summer and another gp said my 3 blood tests weren't enough for a diagnosis of diabetes yet.

Anyway I am going to Florida in a couple of weeks, and now I am panicking about if i take unwell on holiday, especially over there as we all know what their healthcare system costs. I haven't been feeling 100% the past few weeks, but I'm not sure if my anxiety is contributing. I feel if I go to the doc now then I don't want to be starting a new medication just as I go away to the other side of the world. As anxiety sufferers know, all the worst case scenarios are running through my head and it's stopping me from enjoying the build up to my holiday, it's my little boys first time there.

Anyway does anyone have any info on diabetes diagnosis, how long it usually takes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by citygirl1 View Post
    Hi all.

So a few months back I had 3 blood tests done to test my blood sugar. The first 2 came back over 7 and I was told if the 3rd came back high, I might be looking at a diabetes diagnosis. The 3rd one came back in the acceptable range, although the doc said it was still on the higher range. She said they would review again in the summer and another gp said my 3 blood tests weren't enough for a diagnosis of diabetes yet.

Anyway I am going to Florida in a couple of weeks, and now I am panicking about if i take unwell on holiday, especially over there as we all know what their healthcare system costs. I haven't been feeling 100% the past few weeks, but I'm not sure if my anxiety is contributing. I feel if I go to the doc now then I don't want to be starting a new medication just as I go away to the other side of the world. As anxiety sufferers know, all the worst case scenarios are running through my head and it's stopping me from enjoying the build up to my holiday, it's my little boys first time there.

Anyway does anyone have any info on diabetes diagnosis, how long it usually takes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Heya lovely,

Sorry to hear you're going through this right before your holiday.

My little sister has had diabetes since she Was 7, she's now 20. Before she got diagnosed she was ridiculously poorly, to the point she couldn't even move to go to the toilet.
    At first they kept telling us it was just a virus.. then she eventually got rushed into hospital after collapsing down the stairs and she was then diagnosed straight away.

Do you have any classic diabetes symptoms?

• Always thirsty?
    • Always needing the toilet?
    • feeling faint?
    • Dry mouth? ... and so on.?!

Maybe get a finger prick monitor of your own and keep an eye on your sugar levels over the next couple of weeks?!?!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have had a dry mouth for as long as I remember. I wouldn't say I am drinking more than normal, or urinating more. I am tired and have been having some headaches, but I am also on iron tablets for low iron levels. I have a blood sugar monitor but at my last go visit a couple of months back she said I shouldn't check it every day..

You don’t have to check it every day, maybe check it if you’re feeling the classic symptoms of low blood sugar - because then you can grab some raisins or a glass of juice.

You could also go back to your gp & ask for a holiday advice plan. It’s what they’re there for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My blood sugars were showing high rather than low. Yeah a holiday advice plan might be a good idea.

Thread Information