I have used Paroxetine for more than ten years, having used another SRi for several years. Paroxetine was certainly better than the first drug prescribed (Citalopram, I think it was), but I have come off Paroxetine altogether in the last month and discovered some serious issues.
I was taking 20 mg per day from the start.
I read recently that Paroxetine might relate to Dementia so asked about alternatives. I was prescribed Sertraline.
I stepped-down from 20 to 15 mg per day without a problem.
After one week I went down to 10 mg per day for a further week, again without problem. I noticed I was able to think more clearly and my recall improved substantially.
I then went to 10 mg every other day. Within three days I noticed a return of anxiety, panic and insomnia. I was even crying about my situation.
I was given sleeping pills - this helped immensely.
After four days (taking 10 mg every other day) I decided I had to make the leap - I went four days without Paroxetine before starting Sertraline at 50 mg per day.
On day two I was slightly anxious now and then, and felt panic not far away, but from day four anxiety, panic and insomnia were all gone!
I find my stomach is a little sensitive but that's improving. I feel SO MUCH clearer in my head. I had not noticed that my sense of humour was diminished - it's back now.
I drank alcohol when taking Paroxetine (I had always been a drinker but I became somewhat dependant - I drank about 6 units most days, with a very few days off.) The day I took the last Paroxetine was the last time I drank - I no longer miss a drink, I don't feel I need one, there's drink in the house but I simply don't need it. (YAY!)
These two things, a clearer head and better recall, as well as being able to stop drinking, have made the withdrawal worthwhile.
I’m also getting into ‘The Happiness Trap’ – it’s brilliant, it’s like it was written for everyone on an SSRi. Google it and you might find some peace. Good luck – you are not alone, and you will get to a kinder place.