Thread: Anyone know anything about plumbing?

Anyone know anything about plumbing?

This is a bit random but I’m hoping someone has some advice. This past Sunday, a pipe had to be replaced in the house I live in. Leak was coming from upstairs but of course it was my place that had to be torn open. They were finished by midday. I came back home on Monday.
    There was a smell that I texted my landlord about and he said it was probably the glue and it should fade in a few days. Granted, the pipe is in the wall with little circulation, but I’m still smelling it pretty strongly! I have fans going and odor eaters everywhere and sometimes I don’t smell it too strongly but just now it seemed to just permeate the place again.
    My question is: is this normal and is it ok? Will it definitely dissipate but just take a little longer being in a closed wall? I would think the plumbers knew what they were doing but it’s just concerning me. My parents are coming up tomorrow and I fear having them sleep in that room! My bedroom has been closed off (with my poor cats being sequestered in there every day). But there’s no room for all of us in there with it being small and all my stuff I moved in there from my other room....
    I just don’t want this causing any harm/ problems. My anxiety has already been high as of late- I really didn’t need this. :sigh:
    Thanks for any insight.

Re: Anyone know anything about plumbing?

Yes...shit don't flow up hill

Sorry couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Yes...shit don't flow up hill

Sorry couldn't resist.
    It did at the last office I worked at. The plumbing hadn't been updated to cope with expanding the office (stupid skinflints in charge) and we used to get some backing up

Normally I wouldn’t be concerned all too much but between my parents coming, the glue actually irritating my throat earlier in the week (I don’t think it did today, but throat is still a little raw from it) and the unfortunate anxiety, it’s just annoying. Also doesn’t help that my new neighbors below me smoke pot, which, do what you want but it’s a non-smoking house and they’ve been told. So I’m being assaulted by smells everywhere in my place. It’s not that big!
    At least my tv fits on my dresser (it’s the same length!) and I can now play video games in bed.

Hi Epeira8 - Try something like the link below - a HEPA air filter system. I have one and was amazed at how fast it got rid of the odor from a freshly painted room. if you get one do a little research and make sure it is compatible to room size. But they are good for all the time also not just for odors.

https://www.amazon.com/PureZone-True...QHR9PZ46W0Y9NY

Hi I noticed the OP didn't mention what type of pipe it was that was repaired, as in a gas pipe, clean water pipes (hot or cold) or drainage pipes, why was glue used and not connecting joints (glue less )? It could just be water that is stagnant and that's causing the smell or damp on the walls where the leak was. Hope it clears soon for you ATB

I do have a large air purifier which I had going. I turned it off and put on another fan after I steam cleaned the carpet.
    It was a drainage pipe, but they replaced an old cast iron pipe with a pvc one and used glue on that. It’s definitely more of a chemical/glue smell. It does seem to be going away and my parents said they didn’t smell it. I think I did this morning. It seems to come and go I guess depending on the air flow. So, that helped me not worry too much. Hopefully it’ll be gone soon for sure.

Thank you all for your replies!

Thread Information