Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Still worried about ALS

Re: Still worried about ALS

Quote Originally Posted by 2anxious4this View Post
    Do you have a similar experience?
    Had it, 4 years ago. I was terrified I had ALS. Muscles twitched all over the place. Perceived slurred speech. Lump in throat. Fatigue. Pins and needles running down my head and neck. Charley horses every once in a while. What caused all that? Health anxiety. How do I know? Because 4 years on, I am still alive and playing football every week. If I had ALS, there would be a tube sticking out of my neck and I would be typing this with eye movements not fingers. Or I would be six foot under. So no, I do not have ALS. And neither do you.

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    Had it, 4 years ago. I was terrified I had ALS. Muscles twitched all over the place. Perceived slurred speech. Lump in throat. Fatigue. Pins and needles running down my head and neck. Charley horses every once in a while. What caused all that? Health anxiety. How do I know? Because 4 years on, I am still alive and playing football every week. If I had ALS, there would be a tube sticking out of my neck and I would be typing this with eye movements not fingers. Or I would be six foot under. So no, I do not have ALS. And neither do you.
    How bad did it get? Did you ever see any doctors?

How bad did it get? Did you ever see any doctors?
    Pretty bad. And I did - even had a MRI and got seen by a neuro. Their diagnosis was neck problems due to stress (read HA). Of course, slurred speech was a figment of my anxiety - crazed imagination. Once I accepted what my main problem was (HA) and started treating it, symptoms gradually subsided over a couple of months, which proved my doctors right and me (who suspected ALS and brain tumor) wrong.

Margaret Thatcher

Pretty bad. And I did - even had a MRI and got seen by a neuro. Their diagnosis was neck problems due to stress (read HA). Of course, slurred speech was a figment of my anxiety - crazed imagination. Once I accepted what my main problem was (HA) and started treating it, symptoms gradually subsided over a couple of months, which proved my doctors right and me (who suspected ALS and brain tumor) wrong.
    It took months for the symptoms to subside? What was that like?

Toes not flexing symmetrical

Ive been dealing with an ALS fear for over a month. Earlier I noticed that when Im laying down and flex my toes towards me, my left toes go further than my right toes. Im now even more afraid and I cant stop thinking about it or testing my toes.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Re: Toes not flexing symmetrical

To quote other thread, we are asymmetrical by nature. Your leg functions properly=you don't have ALS.

Margaret Thatcher

It took months for the symptoms to subside? What was that like?
    Twitches became less and less frequent, charley horses disappeared, weird sensation stopped.

Margaret Thatcher

To quote other thread, we are asymmetrical by nature. Your leg functions properly=you don't have ALS.
    So you dont think it sounds like weakness?

nope it doesn't

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Oh my gosh! I went through this same symptom fear once. I was sure I was the only one in the world.

I was in the height of my health anxiety when it happened, and I went to the doctor and showed him my toes. (I was worried about a brain tumor.) He looked at me and said something like, "Why were you expecting them to be the same?"

You are okay 2anxious4this. This fear is coming from your health anxiety, not you. Acknowledge your Health Anxiety and then divert your focus onto something else. It is super hard at first, but I promise that it gets easier.

You got this!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information