Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5mg escitalopram

2.5mg escitalopram

I cannot carry on like this.
    I’m on edge almost all day every day and for no real reason.
    I have tried meditation for the past 3 evenings.
    I was on escitalopram 5mg from the age of 21 up until Feb this year (13 years) and have been off for past 4 months. I came off them sooooo slow. I felt ok for first 3 months then bang it hit me out the blue 3/4 weeks ago. I literally panic about having to do everything even the school/Pre school run. Driving. Work. You name it. And I can’t even explain why.
    I remember when I first started taking this med I had some unwanted side effects. So am debating re starting but cutting my 5mg into half so starting at 2.5mg from this evening and seeing how I get on. Hoping that way any side effects will be minimal. Anyone else tried this? Also I used to take mine at night just before I got into bed. Hubby thinks maybe take early evening so hopefully if any side effects were to happen it’d be whilst I was awake rather than disrupting my sleep. What do you think?

Re: 2.5mg escitalopram

I always took mine with breakfast and didn't have any bad side effects

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks Phil.
    Did you not feel sleepy around late morning? Was yours a small dose?

I'm a week and a half into 5 mg. I'm prescribed 10 mg, but was so worried about side effects (I had a bad experience starting on Citalopram 5 years ago) that I've been cutting the pills in half. My side effects so far have been very minimal compared to starting the Citalopram.

You could definitely start at 2.5, if you are nervous about side effects. I found that my anxiety died down a bit just by starting at a lower dose. Of course, the down side is that it will take longer to get to an effective dose.

Thanks Nervouskel.
    I am sooo SCARED to even take 2.5mg!! Think it’s because I remember the feelings I had when I first started taking it 13 years ago. My eldest is in her last week of GCSEs come Monday and I absolutely have to be ok to drive her to school all week (as well as my other children) it’s almost like I’m putting it off thinking I’ll take it starting next Friday when her exams are done, just making excuses really to avoid taking it but I know the way I’m feeling at the moment I don’t have an awful lot of choice ��

I know what you mean; I was really terrified to start taking it. It actually made my anxiety much worse just thinking about it. I'm already having nervous thoughts about having to up the dose, and I keep putting that off;-).

Once I realized the side effects weren't as bad as I had imagined, I started feeling a bit better.

Well I chickened out and didn’t start my tablets on Friday!
    Will see how I go this week and if I’m really bad I seriously think I’ll need to start them this Friday (I say the Friday because then my daughters exams are over so I know she doesn’t need me to drive her to school)
    Saying that, just popped into a shop, was fine whilst I was browsing (not long only about 5 mins) get to the till and all I want to do is run out the shop �� why why why!!??

When I was between meds for several weeks I felt the same. Cafe, shop, pub, I had a sudden need to get out. It's anxiety. I'm now 10 weeks into 10mg of escitalopram and I'm much better, although I'm considering increasing to 15mg.

Hi Sleepy glad you are feeling better how long did you go between meds? Also did you get any side effects starting escitalopram? That’s what I’m scared of most! But at the same time I can’t go on like this....getting a spaced out feeling and always wanting to bolt out of a shop! Maybe come Friday I should just bite the bullet and take 2.5mg!

Mumzy,

I'd probably wait until after your daughter is done with exams, as well. Just knowing that you won't have to drive her will probably make it much easier to start the escitalopram .

Did you find the 5 mg an effective dose for you for the years you were on it? I'm so nervous about moving up to 10 mg. that I would be thrilled if the 5 mg would work! When did you notice it start to kick in? I'm at Day 15, and so far I don't think I've noticed any difference yet....but maybe a little less anxiety during the day? And, my sleep has improved a bit the last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information