Thread: Fear of weight gain.

Fear of weight gain.

My doctor has just put me on Mirtazapine, I’m 135lbs and have lost a fair bit of weight due to my terrible anxiety. I’m absolutely terrified of starting them because I have a bad self image and do not want to put on mass amounts of weight. I’ve read research papers about these drugs and how they make you ravenous... does everyone put on weight with these drugs?!

Re: Fear of weight gain.

Hi KM92 - Not everyone gains weight on mirtazapine, and it is even possible to lose weight while taking mirtazapine. However, you will need to be a little more careful with what and how much you eat, particularly in the first few weeks, and keep a moderately close eye on how much you weigh. Good luck with it.

Seconded.

it is not inevitable, but I would say you will have to keep a very close eye on what you eat; limit carbs, sugar, junk food. Fill yourself up with lean meats, tons of vegetables. Exercise will help, but your diet will be key. Fizzy water is useful - fills you up, zero cals.

I too tend not to eat when anxious, so assuming Mirt helps with that (and it should, usually), then be careful not to eat a ton when you start feeling less anxious.

Good luck with it,

Albert

I was on Mirtazapine 45mg for 3 months. Within a week of starting it I noticed a big increase in my appetite. Within the 3 months I gained around 8kg... i went cold turkey and stopped taking it due to the severe appetite increase that caused my weight gain. The mirtazapine didn’t help for my depression anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KM92 View Post
    My doctor has just put me on Mirtazapine, I’m 135lbs and have lost a fair bit of weight due to my terrible anxiety. I’m absolutely terrified of starting them because I have a bad self image and do not want to put on mass amounts of weight. I’ve read research papers about these drugs and how they make you ravenous... does everyone put on weight with these drugs?!
    You know what's crazy. I've gained weight because of my anxiety!

Thread Information