Thread: Doctor said its a hernia - so why am I so uneasy?

Doctor said its a hernia - so why am I so uneasy?

My husband has a lump in his groin, the lump can be pushed back into muscle if it appears. The doctor had a prod, announced it was a hernia, and referred him to the hernia clinic, as it may need surgery. The referral wasn't one of the those "14 day suspected cancer urgent referrals" and the appointment has come through for the end of September, so they're hardly rushing him in.

But because I have health anxiety, I am uneasy. I'm wondering about getting a private appointment to speed things up. My husband thinks I'm mad.

Re: Doctor said its a hernia - so why am I so uneasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Petal02 View Post
    My husband has a lump in his groin, the lump can be pushed back into muscle if it appears. The doctor had a prod, announced it was a hernia, and referred him to the hernia clinic, as it may need surgery. The referral wasn't one of the those "14 day suspected cancer urgent referrals" and the appointment has come through for the end of September, so they're hardly rushing him in.

But because I have health anxiety, I am uneasy. I'm wondering about getting a private appointment to speed things up. My husband thinks I'm mad.
    Hi Well depending on the size of the hernia will determine the how urgent the referral is Normal or Priority Not sure why you used the word cancer referral a hernia isn't cancerous in any way. He doesn't need to be rushed in as such and no save your money, no need for a private appointment either, I also suggest you get help for your HA as another worry will take over the present one ATB

Thank you for your reply. I suppose I used the word "cancer" because deep down that's what I'm scared of, and I was monumentally relieved that it wasn't an urgent referral, because that's when I always think they suspect cancer.

So to any rational person, the diagnosis of "hernia" by an experienced GP, and an appointment for several months time, would not be alarming. But I'm not a rational person, I thought I'd got on top of my HA (although to be precise, it's more like 'HA by proxy' because I don't really worry about my own health).

Every time I think I've conquered my HA, my husband will have another minor symptom that I interpret as cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal02 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I suppose I used the word "cancer" because deep down that's what I'm scared of, and I was monumentally relieved that it wasn't an urgent referral, because that's when I always think they suspect cancer.

So to any rational person, the diagnosis of "hernia" by an experienced GP, and an appointment for several months time, would not be alarming. But I'm not a rational person, I thought I'd got on top of my HA (although to be precise, it's more like 'HA by proxy' because I don't really worry about my own health).

Every time I think I've conquered my HA, my husband will have another minor symptom that I interpret as cancer.
    Np Exactly it's the irrational thinking that is causing you to worry and it doesn't matter wether you worry about your health or some one who is close to you, it still amounts to HA, how have you been trying to conquer your HA? Why not seek help via your gp you may just need some therapy to help you through the HA maze! Give it a go. ATB

I had counselling for HA last year - and the techniques taught work quite well. I'm not in full blown panic mode at the moment, which must mean there's been a slight improvement, just this sense of unease that hernia treatment may unearth something more sinister.

Was diagnosed with a small hernia last year that didn't require any type of surgery. I didn't worry about cancer because I felt as though a cancer wouldn't really present like that.

I've also had several hernias in my lifetime. Many times more common than anything sinister I would think.

Thanks Toaster - the GP also commented that hernias are really common, and not all of them require surgery. The only person fretting about cancer seems to be me.

No one in my biological family has lived longer than 60, so everytime my husband has any sort of symptom, I assume he hasn't got long left (he's 55). The counsellor did point out that anything unpleasant lurking in my family's medical history will obviously not affect my husband (good point) but it doesn't stop my HA.

I understand your reason for worrying.

My one hernia is in my belly button. You can actually see it pushing down the one side of my belly button. They found it by accident, said I had it and it was nothing and super common. That was it.

From my experiences, doctors announce things when they know. If they don't know, they will get a second opinion or refer you elsewhere.

I'm feeling a bit more rational today - I've had chance to sleep on this, and keep reminding myself that the doctor says its a hernia, and its a three month wait to see the hernia repair clinic. I really should take this at face value.

Thread Information