Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re starting escitalopram

Re starting escitalopram

So I will more than likely re start Escitalopram Friday after 4 months off them. Gutted. I was on them 13 years, came off them soooo slow but I just can’t handle this anxiety and panic, it frightens me. I’m even struggling to do the school run/work. I don’t want to feel like this. I’ve felt like this for roughly 3/4 weeks now. From the moment I wake I have constant worries about things which aren’t even there and thinking ‘what if’, so stressful.
    So, before stopping I was on 5mg every other day for about a year the. 5mg every 2-3 days for around 4 months. I’m scared stiff about the side effects so am wondering.....if I cut my 5mg pill in 2 and take 2.5mg every evening, do you think I’ll get such harsh side effects? I’m sure it’s not still in my system after 4 months off? I wish I could just take one and feel instantly better!

Re: Re starting escitalopram

Quote Originally Posted by Mumzy View Post
    So I will more than likely re start Escitalopram Friday after 4 months off them. Gutted. I was on them 13 years, came off them soooo slow but I just can’t handle this anxiety and panic, it frightens me. I’m even struggling to do the school run/work. I don’t want to feel like this. I’ve felt like this for roughly 3/4 weeks now. From the moment I wake I have constant worries about things which aren’t even there and thinking ‘what if’, so stressful.
    So, before stopping I was on 5mg every other day for about a year the. 5mg every 2-3 days for around 4 months. I’m scared stiff about the side effects so am wondering.....if I cut my 5mg pill in 2 and take 2.5mg every evening, do you think I’ll get such harsh side effects? I’m sure it’s not still in my system after 4 months off? I wish I could just take one and feel instantly better!
    I was on 10mg for 5 yrs and went off cold turkey about 10 yrs ago.
    I always used to take mine with breakfast and had very few side effects.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thanks Phill how did you find re starting them?

I didn't Mumzy
    I'd had a heart attack in between so they put me on Zoloft for some reason.
    I hate the Zoloft but when I try to go off it the side effects are horrendous so I guess I'm stuck on it.
    Wish I could go back to Lexapro.

Oh no Phill sorry to hear that. So I’ve seen GP this morning who’s said don’t cut the pill in half and just go straight in with the 5mg as of Friday! Scared!

Good luck, Mumzy!!

I'm still on 5 mg, and finding the side effects minimal :-).

I found that, for me, the first 3-4 days were the hardest: because I expected severe side effects, it made my anxiety worse for those days. Once I started to realize I wasn't going to have really bad side effects, the anxiety wasn't as bad.

Now, I'm anxious about having to go up to 10 mg, so I'm sure I'll see an increase in anxiety the first week or so when I go up the end of June.

Hi Kel
    How you finding the meds now? Has your anxiety subsided?
    I’ve taken this before so I should know what to expect but it’s my stupid mind playing tricks, it’s exhausting! I remember when I started these years ago I did think to myself the side effects weren’t how I remembered being when I was on a different brand a few years prior. I so want to feel ‘normal’ Again because right now I don’t, I feel constantly on edge. I had a slight nose bleed last night from one nostril and blood in phlegm, didn’t last long but my anxiety was through the roof last night because of that. I feel drained.

My anxiety has subsided a bit, but I can't tell if that's from the escitalopram working, or because I've realized I won't get bad side effects on 5 mg :-). I did have a really great afternoon yesterday, with no anxiety and I was actually happy! This morning it's back to hanging out with my good friend anxiety again.

Glad to hear your feeling a little better stick with it

Quote Originally Posted by Mumzy View Post
    Glad to hear your feeling a little better stick with it
    I think the biggest problem is your fear of it rather than the actual drug itself.
    I know that was the case with me but when I found it wasn't going to kill me I was OK with it.
    I started on 5 mg and went to 10mg after a week or so.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information