Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it take 6 to 8 weeks for Escitalopram to fully kick in

Can it take 6 to 8 weeks for Escitalopram to fully kick in

Been on 10mgs for 12 days. Usually need to take one .25 Klonopin or 2 vistarils a day for anxiety. Just started having side effects 2nd week in is this common.

Re: Can it take 6 to 8 weeks for Escitalopram to fully kick in

I’m 2 months in and I feel very sick in the mornings but once I eat food I’m okay for the day. Anxiety is manageable and not overwhelming which is great. Sometimes I feel angry instead of happy but I think that’s because im in a good mood and most people aren’t so I get agitated ��

It can take 6 to 8 weeks for it to fully kick in. Supposedly it takes that long to get the full effect of the medication in your blood stream.

I think most people do get the side effects almost right away (or within the first week), but I did read some reviews online where people got side effects in the 2nd week. It could be too that the Klonopin or Vistaril sort of blocked your ability to feel the side effects the first week; but now that it's the second week you are noticing them a bit more.

What side effects are you having?

Basically stomach cramps and gas. Trouble sleeping. Also bad anxiety but always had that. Are you feeling less anxious now.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Do you take anything for the anxiety?

My anxiety comes and goes. I have it every morning as soon as I wake up, and all morning. Then it varies in the afternoon. Yesterday, I didn't have any anxiety in the afternoon; the day before, I had anxiety and low mood all afternoon.

In the evening, the anxiety always lessens.

I'm not taking anything for the anxiety; but I am taking trazadone at night as needed to sleep. When I started Citalopram, I had to take trazadone and lorazepam in order to sleep; it's possible I'll have to do the same when I move up to 10 mg of escitalopram at the end of June.

How many days have you been on Lexapro. Have you noticed any improvement since week two. I seem better in the evening, but mornings are awful. I have to push myself to go into town.

I'm on Day 17. I'm on such a low dose though (really a starter dose rather than a therapeutic dose) that I'm not expecting to see much difference until I bump up to 10 mg. I'm leery if even that dose will work for me; I was on 40 mg of Citalopram for 5 years, so it's possible I'll have to go up to 15 or 20 mg on the Lexapro.

Quote Originally Posted by NervousKel View Post
    My anxiety comes and goes. I have it every morning as soon as I wake up, and all morning. Then it varies in the afternoon. Yesterday, I didn't have any anxiety in the afternoon; the day before, I had anxiety and low mood all afternoon.

In the evening, the anxiety always lessens.

I'm not taking anything for the anxiety; but I am taking trazadone at night as needed to sleep. When I started Citalopram, I had to take trazadone and lorazepam in order to sleep; it's possible I'll have to do the same when I move up to 10 mg of escitalopram at the end of June.
    I used to get anxious in the afternoons around 4pm and found having a light snack helped.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

How long have you been on it

I've been on escitalopram for 12 weeks in all, 2.5 then 5 then 10 which I've now been on for 10 weeks. I had insomnia and nausea from the start. The nausea was short-lived, but the insomnia didn't sort itself out until I was on 10. The nausea reappeared for a few days with each increase.

I've been on 15 now for 5 days. My sleep was disturbed initially, but I had a good 8 hours last night. I went up because the anxiety, which was much better on 10, started to break back through. I haven't had any nausea with this increase.

I also do intermittent fasting ( have done for 5 years) and on fasting days I feel really cr*p. More anxiety, more weird physical symptoms. Never used to happen before escitalopram. Hoping I'm now on an adequate dose for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information