Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bat rabies anxiety

Re: Bat rabies anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?
    Yes that's correct and there's a been a few threads here like that I think in one case it was 3 weeks after the aledged bite but they still went ahead with it. So not sure why. ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    You did not get what I wanted to say. I did not mean real as in people who have HA actually have cancer or whatever, I meant real as in there is a fair chance it can happen in life.

On the other hand, naegleriasis or rabies do not happen, or happen so rarely and in such an unique, weird set of circumstances that fearing these is much, much more irrational than fearing "usual" diseases like cancers, heart attacks etc.
    You clipped my post to suit this response.

I understand that point.

The chances of getting cancer when you have no cancer symptoms are nil. Given the vast majority on here who haven't been diagnosed then the symptoms weren't indicative of cancer.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I believe you can get a rabies shot/injection? If so why don't those that fear getting it have the injection or am I totally wrong here?
    That's just a reassurance test though and keeping the importance of the fear going. Compulsion.

I would seriously question any doctor giving one and whether it's ethical.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Anxiety is Anxiety is Anxiety. As much as it’s easy to occasionally snigger over something you find insignificant, my fear is as relevant at the time as your fear.

So it’s easy for me to say - no it wasn’t a bat bite, stop bothering your doctor & relax a bit. But if the OP sniggered at my anxieties I would be crushed.

So that’s how I think about it. Treat everyone how you’d like to be treated. Occasionally it’s exasperating. And of course occasionally I understand that someone can be exasperated with me too.

I think I’ve lost my point...

It wasn’t a bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree.

People complain the non anxious treat their anxieties as trivial yet within the anxiety community the same occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

[/COLOR]

I agree.

People complain the non anxious treat their anxieties as trivial yet within the anxiety community the same occurs.
    I am not saying it is trivial. Extreme anxiety is a disorder and it need to be taken seriously. Not the imaginary disease of course but the anxiety in itself as it is seriously damaging to the life quality on the sufferer. No one should walk around fearing cancer all the time of course, but sometimes there is a strong reason why people fear it. After alll; all of us have at least 25% chance of getting cancer one time in life. The chances of getting brain eating amoeba is.....well it is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    I am not saying it is trivial. Extreme anxiety is a disorder and it need to be taken seriously. Not the imaginary disease of course but the anxiety in itself as it is seriously damaging to the life quality on the sufferer. No one should walk around fearing cancer all the time of course, but sometimes there is a strong reason why people fear it. After alll; all of us have at least 25% chance of getting cancer one time in life. The chances of getting brain eating amoeba is.....well it is zero.
    That's a good point. That being said, it all comes down to how you accept uncertainty. Just because getting cancer is a 1 in 4 in a lifetime and statistically, getting the brain eating amoeba is as close to 0 as one could possibly get ever, ever, ever, ever... it still comes down to that niggle of uncertainty, statistically valid or not, over whatever the fear is. I certainly never thought I'd have the health issues I faced. I can tell you 1st hand that the thought comes to mind when the angina acts up and I'm thinking heart attack or my neck and throat are screaming and I'm thinking... uh oh... And my chances statistically of something being wrong are pretty high! BUT.... those moments are fleeting and don't control my life. I'm rarely if ever on the cancer forum unless I get a message and I've not been on the heart forum I was part of for over 5 years now.

The bottom line to me is knowing that I have no control over my fate. Nor do you. You can make the most profound decision in your life and be in a car wreck the next day. So whether it's the big C, a heart attack or you make it into the record books by getting a brain eating amoeba or bit by an invisible bat, it's about enjoying the time you do have because let me tell you, the worst regrets you have in life are not the things you did, but the things you didn't do due to fear.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    You clipped my post to suit this response.
    I responded to the part that interested me and was relevant to the point I wanted to make.
    Last edited by Andrash; 14-06-18 at 07:12.

Margaret Thatcher

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information