Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High bilirubin detected on blood test

Re: High bilirubin detected on blood test

I’ve got to re book mine for 2-3 weeks time

I'm going Monday to get blood work done because I found bilirubin in my urine on a test strip.

So I had my blood taken again today (just 1 tube for the liver) and hope to get the results tomorrow

So the doctor just rang me to say my bilirubin levels have some down slightly (from 32-30) but that’s still elevated (normal max is 22) so she said I have 3 options....do nothing, have an ultrasound or have a blood test to determine Gilbert’s Syndrome. She suggested I go for the blood test so back i go in the next week or 2

At least Gilbert’s is harmless Mumzy. What do they actually look for in the blood to diagnose Gilbert’s I wonder? X

I really don’t know!
    When it first came back high she said then she suspects GS so why she didn’t just say have a blood test for GS instead of having the whole liver test again and now having to go back for blood test for GS don’t know!
    Then I guess if it comes back it’s not GS she will then request I have an ultrasound so more waiting.....
    In a way I hope it is GS as like you say it’s nothing major. Mind when I had bloods taken back in Dec my bilirubin levels were normal. Very confusing as I though GS is something your born with x

I have had raised billirubins for over 20 years and a few months ago at the age of 60 I had further tests which confirmed I have Gilbert's syndrome. Not much I can do about it but it does explain my constant tiredness, brain fog and anxiety. I make sure I drink lots of water now and eat healthy foods that cleanse the liver.
    Certain medications can cause a raise in billirubins so don't jump to worst case scenario.

Hello, well this reply comes a little late but ... Just had my blood tests returned and all is normal in mine apart from the Bilirubin. Mine is 32 (range 0- 21). I fisrt knew of this 6 years ago when it first flagged up and then the Dr said some people do show higher readings and not to worry. It might be Gilbert's Syndrome which the NHS describes as a generally harmless condition. I will be having another liver function test in 6 weeks time to see if things are the same.

Cannot say this hasn't played on my mind ... it has ... because for the last three months I've had a pain in my right side. This is just a muscle pull ( obliques probably ) and is stopping me from being a very active mid 50s male. Working on building sites and driving a thousand miles per week doesn't help the muscle recovery. As you can guess I'm writing this to convince myself it's nothing more serious !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information