Thread: Sertraline & taking Imodium

Question Sertraline & taking Imodium

I have just been prescribed Sertraline and I am nervous about taking it. I read all the common side effects, including headache, anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness & diarrhoea. I have all that without taking drugs, thanks!
    At the moment I am undergoing various tests for tummy troubles & weight loss. So far, gallstones but more tests yet.
    As you can imagine anxiety is through the roof & I don't think I can cope with a worsening of symptoms, even if temporary. But I decided I"d risk it until I read on the NHS website that you shouldn't take anything to stop diarrhoea, just drink water or oral rehydration.stuff.
    So I looked it up. It''s risky taking loperamide (imodium) with Sertraline. Can cause heart problems.

What! This goes beyond just the short term side effects issue. I need Imodium to get out of the house.
    Why is nothing ever easy?

Re: Sertraline & taking Imodium

the dr wouldn't prescribe them to you if they wern't safe for you to take and all SSRI anti depressants make you feel worse before they make you feel any better, they also will take roughly about 6 ish weeks on the right dose to start making any proper impact...

Sorry this makes it sound all negative BUT it really isn't, Sertraline has really helped me (100mg) obviously you still have to work on the root cause of your anxiety too.

I just saying don't expect overnight miracles taking them as they can make you feel even more rubbish than you already too... to see the benifit of them you need to work through the bad times while they get into your system.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Sertraline & taking Imodium

Thanks Veusbluejeans. I understand what you are saying. I know they may help long-term; my anxiety got so much worse when I stopped taking dosulepin after over 20 years on them, a year ago.

My problem is I am barely coping now with my usual anxiety plus health concerns & terror of hospitals & tests.
    I need something to control diarrhoea if I take Sertraline or I can't get to appointments. If I can't take imodium I guess I'm going to need industrial-strength nappies!

Thread Information