Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy without sedation experience

Endoscopy without sedation experience

One of the reasons I joined NMP was for help with my stomach symptoms of reflux and heartburn. Mostly I needed help with the way my anxiety spiralled worse than my symptoms.
    Once I knew I needed an endoscopy I read everything about people’s experiences to try and help me understand the procedure, and also to decide whether to have sedation or not.

I knew I didn’t really want sedation because I didn’t want to be out of it, or to take longer to recover. I have a small child so I needed to be able to look after her once I was home.

Anyway, my appointment was for 2.30pm. That must have been the time for the afternoon slots, because I was last in and therefore had to wait for 2 hours in the waiting room before there was a bed free. I’d fasted since 8am so was hungry & thirsty as well as anxious. But the wait did mean that I just wanted it over and done with.

I was taken through to the recovery area where the beds are, to wait my turn. I had blood pressure & oxygen levels checked. After about 40 minutes the doctor came to explain the procedure to me. Then I was wheeled in on my bed.
    It’s pretty no nonsense. They’d double checked that I didn’t want sedation, and I’d confirmed again.

They gave me the throat spray - about 5 sprays each to the left right and middle of my throat. It tastes pretty disgusting- like chemical bananas.
    This was the worst part for me. My anxiety kicked in at the thought of the procedure- and usually I would gulp down air, but I couldn’t feel it going down because I couldn’t feel my throat! I did start to panic for about 15 seconds, and told them I couldn’t get air. But they told me that my oxygen levels were 100% and just to breathe. So I started to breathe - astonishingly, being told my oxygen was fine did the trick and I relaxed.
    They put the mouth guard in and I bit down on it, then they fed the tube in and told me to swallow - I did gag twice, but it wasn’t bad, and then it was in. I was quite surprised how easy it was really. Once it was in I felt some tickling, a little discomfort and wriggling, and some punches when they took the biopsies.
    A nurse stroked my hair and told me I was doing fine. Even the doctor was saying I was doing really well.
    I tried to think of a song in my head and just concentrate on breathing in and out. I also concentrated on relaxing each of my muscles one by one.
    Then they told me they were taking it out, and that was it.
    The nurse told me that she thought I was going to panic and I said that I had!

They chatted to me and wheeled me back to the recovery room where they checked my blood pressure again.

I felt a bit shaky for a few minutes, but I sat up and immediately started getting the gown off so I could leave. I had noticed the sedated patients were kept about 45 minutes longer (if that) , and most were having a nice doze.

I was then taken to a discharge area where they talked me through my results and then sent me home.

The throat spray wore off after about 45 minutes, and I started taking sips of water and had a few biscuits. I was a bit sore from the air they pump in. And felt a bit beaten up to be honest. I had a bath and went to bed. The morning after, My throat is a bit sore and my stomach and oesophagus feels a bit tender. But I feel ok really.

Sorry for writing so much, but I hope that this helps anyone looking for help and advice. If you have any questions, please just ask away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Endoscopy without sedation experience

You did so well, Scass, and what a positive and helpful account for other NMP members who are due to have an endoscopy.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    You did so well, Scass, and what a positive and helpful account for other NMP members who are due to have an endoscopy.

Thank you . I really did feel like I did well for an anxious person.

It's not an experience I'd choose to go through! I've had a couple of gastroscopies (endoscopy) both with sedation.

The sedation they use is very light so you can go about your daily chores once you get home. For me, being relaxed and stress free was very important. Each to his own.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    It's not an experience I'd choose to go through! I've had a couple of gastroscopies (endoscopy) both with sedation.

The sedation they use is very light so you can go about your daily chores once you get home. For me, being relaxed and stress free was very important. Each to his own.

And more power to you. I could see that the sedated people were doing well. It just wasn’t for me, and I found it quite hard to make the choice which is why I wrote this post.

I had sedation on both occasions too because I have a very sensitive gag reflex and knew that I would embarrass myself and prevent the endoscopist from doing his work. All credit to you, Scass. For anyone reading this I would also say that the sedation used doesn't prevent you from carrying on as normal although you will need to be driven home.

The spray is definitely the worst part. I like the sedation as my GI tract is very bad so it would be painful.

Hi scass, I just read your post about your endoscopy, I was wondering how do you know if you will be sedated or not? I'm having my endoscopy done in september, and I'm unsure whether my husband should come with me, or if I will be ok to go home in a cab on my own . Many thanks

Hi!
    You can decide yourself, they will just ask you when you get there. This was my experience in the UK anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by charmian View Post
    Hi scass, I just read your post about your endoscopy, I was wondering how do you know if you will be sedated or not? I'm having my endoscopy done in september, and I'm unsure whether my husband should come with me, or if I will be ok to go home in a cab on my own . Many thanks

I had one without sedation at the start of July and 2nd what Scass has said as you can decide when you're there.

What really, really helped me was my hospital has a stupid system of everybody turns up at the same time at either 10am, 1pm or 3pm and wait your turn, so i phoned the week before explained about my anxiety and asked if they could arrange for me to go 1st. True to their word they did and it really helped or you could be waiting for a few hrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information