Thread: Can anyone with diabetes help?

Can anyone with diabetes help?

Hi all.

To keep my story as short as I can, I had some regular blood tests done in February and my blood sugar results were on the high side, with a fasting count of around 7. My HB1AC result was 42, which again my gp said was a border line result. She said they would review again around July/August. Anyway I have been really cutting down and already I have lost just under a stone in 4-5 months. Cut out a lot of bad carbs and walking a lot more. A diabetes diagnosis frightens me and I really want to make some changes now.

Anyway I am going to Florida next week, and in the past week or two I've been feeling a bit worried and jelly legged at times. I'm starting to obsess about what might happen if I feel unwell while I'm over there and it's freaking me out a bit. I took my blood sugar a few days ago and it was around the 7 mark again so no real change. I spoke to my gp again and she said that although my blood sugar reading was high, they would only be concerned with the HB1AC results, and only diagnose diabetes if it was 48 or above.

I don't know if because I'm kinda obsessing about diabetes symptoms, this is what I think I'm feeling. The doc has said they don't want to make any diagnosis for me at the moment, I just don't know if this is anxiety taking over now and making me feel crap.

Re: Can anyone with diabetes help?

You're not suddenly going to get really ill, you're not even fully diabetic..rather pre-diabetic if anything. It's usually people who have diabetes for years who develop problems.

There's a lot of media coverage at the moment for dietary treatments for diabetes, the most effective of which is a low carb diet. It's not just 'bad carbs' that are the issue, although they're the worst by far. Even fruit, wholegrain bread, rice etc all have sufficiently high levels of carbs to spike blood sugars.

There's plenty of information on Youtube etc about low carb/ketogenic diets for the treatment (and reversal) of T2 diabetes, and you could also look at some of the Jason Fung videos on intermittent fasting as an alternative/supplemental way of eating too.

Thanks very much for the tips, will definitely check them out. And yeah i know pretty much most things will have carbs in them. I guess I am just trying to educate myself about how I can control my blood sugar a bit better and try to get it down again.

I think it's just because I was feeling a bit jelly legged I have started to panic a bit, especially with travelling so far and going so far away in the next week.

I don't have diabetes and I'm not pre-diabetic, but I am overweight. I've been on a low-carb diet for a few months now and I've lost weight and feel mentally and physically better.

I make sure that each meal I eat has a source of protein and fat alongside plenty of vegetables. I eat a tonne of veg each day. I get my protein and fat from unprocessed sources. I eat fruit occasionally but not too often as it causes blood sugar spikes and you can get all nutrients you need from meat, fish and veg. I drink only water and black coffee, but you can add milk to your coffee if you want to.

Essentially, the things I've done are:

Cut out all sugar that doesn't occur naturally in what I eat.
    Vastly reduced my consumption of processed food.
    Vastly reduced my consumption of carbohydrate.

I treat myself to dark chocolate with a high cocoa content now and then and once a month I eat something naughty like a huge pizza or Five Guys.

That's just what I've done. I've seen results in my waistline and overall feeling of wellbeing.

Well done to you! Sounds like you have really worked hard at changing your lifestyke.

I have been making a good few changes myself and really am hoping I can get my levels down. I am in the healthy range for my BMI now but the odd fasting reading I have took still show sugar a bit high.

I am optimistic I can get things under control in the long term. I think I am just panicking a bit because I have been feeling a bit off this past week and now worrying it's gonna get worse when I go away.

One thing I've noticed on low carb (I'm not doing keto) is the immediate reduction in bloating and immediate weight loss (5lb in the first week).

I've also noticed that if I do have the odd couple of slices of pizza, my body doesn't react like it did before. I don't get bloated, sweaty, fast heart rate etc.

Your body re-learns how to digest food without being 'triggered' all the time.

I've also noticed I'm a LOT less hungry when I eat less carbs.

My goal is under 100g net carbs a day, which I find pretty easy. I can get away with that because I'm very stocky, but I would like to approach closer to 50g/day as I get more acclimatised to not eating carbs.

I also do 16/8 fasting, but I'm trying to find the balance between that and low carb as doing both is a bit tougher than I expected.

You sound like you are giving it a good go, well done! I am really increasing my veg uptake and trying to cut out on things like rice, bread, potatoes and chips. I am losing weight and moving more, as I say I am now within the healthy range for my BMI. I just hope it might be enough.

I'd like to add my support too. Trust me, you're borderline with diabetes and you're doing all the right things (unlike me :( ) I was diagnosed four years ago.

The thing to remember is that it is a slow advancing disease: when you hear about people suddenly losing masses of weight for example it's usually because they've gone so long undiagnosed that it has progressed to a dangerous point (as it did with an uncle of mine.) These days doctors tend to look only at HBa1c figures rather than blood glucose; it's a better long term indicator.

You are not, repeat NOT, going to get suddenly ill. Again you're doing the right things and in a while, you'll have chased this away.

Now, go and enjoy your holiday!

Pamplemousse

Thanks for your kind response. I think just being told i am borderline has really given me a fright. I really want to make some changes now as I now realise this is going to be a lifetime thing. Diabetes also runs in my family, with my gran and uncle having it. My imagination has been running riot about taking unwell over there and then having to deal with the U.S healthcare system.

Ach I just wish I could not think at times.

You and me both, citygirl1 ... you and me both.

I would also point out that if you take appropriate steps now (which, it seems you are), it is entirely reversible and there is an increasing body of evidence to suggest that Type 2 can be halted even some time after diagnosis (note: I am not a doctor.)

Meanwhile... after a very foodie and very boozy week in Paris this week, I have a blood test on Tuesday.

And it dominates my thoughts as I lie in bed with them for company. What have I done to myself, how big a bollocking am I going to get off my GP when she sees my results? Ho hum.

Likewise, I always worry about being taken ill abroad especially if it's a non-English speaking country. I'd rather stay in the UK than face that fear.

Hopefully, by the time you read this you'll have had a great holiday
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 21-06-18 at 23:01.

Thread Information