Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirt Diary

Re: Mirt Diary

Day 18 - still going well. Tried taking it at 8.30pm last night, and did not have the same restless leg issue and fell asleep pretty quickly at 10.30. Slept through and was woken up by my son at 7am. Groggy when woke up, but it is normal for anyone not on drugs to be groggy when first woken up!

Still some slight dizziness/faint grogginess during the day, and the odd faint headache. Anxiety is much lower than it was, and no real depression issues. Certainly feeling a lot better in general than I was.

I had been having 5am wake-ups and diarrhoea every morning (I have posted about that on here previously), and have not had either since I have been on this med. My IBS in general seems to be a little better.

The impact of this med is relatively mild I think (at this dose) - I am not sure how much help it would be to someone with debilitating anxiety, for example. But for someone with moderate GAD and moderate depression like me (particularly when exacerbated by insomnia), it does seem to be helping.

Of course, regular exercise, meditation and CBT are all playing an important part in that too

Day 21 - still a bit up and down. Had a bad night on day 20 - could not sleep/kept waking up - ended up taking 1/4 of a zopiclone just to try and get me out.

No major anxiety - just jittery.

Still a little dizzy from time to time and a little groggy occasionally. But in general/on average doing better than I was off the meds.

No real weight gain the last couple of weeks, though I am watching what I eat and exercising regularly.

So - 3 weeks in - in general things are still going well. I would say my base line has just been nudged up a few notches, which makes everything a bit easier to deal with. Obviously this is not some magic pill that will have me skipping down the road filled with joy every second, but it does seem to be helping with sleep and it does seem to be dialling back the anxiety and lifting my mood a little.

Still some odd dizziness and sometimes if I suddenly move my head from side to side I almost feel slightly sea-sick. No real weight gain (maybe a couple of lbs) but I exercise regularly and keep an eye on what I eat, so that may be helping.

But, in general, so far, so good.

Hopefully I will not suddenly start having new side effects, as some have had, later on. Also know about the "poop-out" phenomenon, so we shall see if this keeps working over the next few months.

Day 25 - re weight and some of the horror stories - I have put on maybe 1 or 2lbs, but no more than that so far, and that may well have happened anyway as there have been multiple kids birthday parties in the last few weeks with far too much cake! It certainly seems that the issues relate to feeling a bit hungrier than usual, so I think regular exercising and keeping control of your intake may well help. But I think everyone is different, so I guess it is just a matter of keeping an eye on it and deciding how much you think it matters. How the med effects me is not indicative of how it will affect you.

The morning grogginess is much less now, hardly there at all really. Sleep is still way better than it was before I took the pills, though I took a couple of hours to fall asleep last night and woke up a bunch of times, so feel tried today. However, this was due to the fact that we got some stressful news just before bed, which would make even someone without any mental health issue pretty anxious and not sleep well! I am a bit jittery and anxious today due to that.

Still have the occasional restless legs at night when trying to sleep, but this is manageable.

I am trying to remain positive, and not let myself fall back into any of my old negative thought patterns. One of my big problems was/is obsessive and anxious worrying about how I feel (the old anxiety about anxiety), so I am trying to keep out of that pattern. I am still exercising 3 or 4 times a week, and try to meditate using Headspace most mornings. I also did some CBT so try and keep those techniques in play.

Other than that, things seem to be going ok, and I am going to keep on 15mg and see where I am in the next few weeks. I just have to stop caring so much about silly and entirely unimportant bodily sensations and thoughts!

Hope anyone reading this is feeling well.

Day 32

Had a couple of days of feeling very good - happy - all day. Slept well, no restless legs etc

Not feeling so great today, though that is because things are very stressful at work, so I can't really blame the meds. Had vivid dreams about wife and son and I being held in a prison camp, and trying to escape with them both while wife had gunshot wound in leg and river we had to dive into to reach the boat was polluted, so I was worried about infection...my brain is not very subtle...

Muscles feel a little sore and tired, though that may well be just from the gym. Also feel like I am slightly fighting something - throat feels a bit odd (like the start of sore throat, or like my sinuses have been dripping overnight or something).

Still seem to be very slowly putting on weight - have maybe gained 3lbs since I started. It is hard to tell though as I am going the gym 4 times a week and doing weights etc, so some of that may be muscle. I have no idea.

Of course, my brain is trying to get me worried about all this - that the sore throat is because the meds are lowering my immune system, that the weight gain is going to continue and I will get fat and unhealthy etc and then I will have to come off the meds and have horrible withdrawal and struggle for the rest of my life etc etc etc

Gotta love catastrophizing. Such a helpful pattern ;-)

So am just telling such thoughts to bugger off and trying to get on with my day.

Day 33

Feeling more sick today - feels like a head cold - sinuses/back of throat feel a little bunged up etc - head feels hot and fuzzy - feel very tired - certainly feels like I am fighting something. Hard to know if this is the meds or if this is just a summer cold/flu I have caught.

Also slightly increased anxiety/obsessing over how I feel etc. Finding myself worrying a bit about these meds, about having to come off if they have bad side effects or dont work etc. How do I know what is the med and what is me?

Sleep is still a lot better - so nice to fall asleep relatively quickly and wake up at the proper time in the morning. Scared if I do have to go off these meds I will lose that.

But also have to remember the good days I had a few days ago. Hopefully all this is just me feeling a bit rubbish from a cold/flu.

Day 34

Still feeling sick. Sneezing and blocked nose. Head feels bunged up/fuzzy. Hoping this is just a coincidence and not anything to do with the meds. I guess I will give it a week or so and see if I feel any better. If not, maybe it is the meds and I will go to the doc to discuss.

Oh and re the side effects in general - the morning dizziness/grogginess has gone, but I do get very tired around 9pm which is when I usually take the med, so no crazy late nights for me!

Day 35

Still sick. Yuck.
    Had very stressful work ending with a midnight finish and promise of a 6am start the next morning, and was too wired and worked up to fall asleep. Took 1/4 of a tab of zopiclone and fell asleep pretty quickly for 4-5hours and then woke up. I hate taking those things, and very rarely do, but it is good to know that I can take such a small amount for emergencies and get a bit of sleep.

Tired and stressed with work today, and still hoping this is just a summer cold and nothing to do with the meds.

Hope you feel better soon Jomo. Try not to worry that it might be mirtazapine related. I know a couple of people who are not the best at the moment. I think this unrelenting humid weather can cause just as many bugs as cold weather. We need a good shower to clear and clean the atmosphere and the streets! Hang on in there .. this too shall pass.

All the best.

Belle x

Thanks Belle - I feel very mean partly hoping my wife or son come down with it, but that will help put my fears to rest! I am pretty confident it is just a summer cold, as I hear and see lots of other people suffering. Travelling on the Tube to work every morning means exposure to pretty much every germ out there!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information