Thread: Exposure therapy for health anxiety

Exposure therapy for health anxiety

Has anyone had success with exposure therapy for health anxiety? I just started with a new therapist looking for CBT but he wants to do exposure therapy instead. I’m not sure I’m onboard, looking for opinions

Re: Exposure therapy for health anxiety

A little bit, yes, but it wasn't very structured. I was simply introduced to the concept and given some suggestions to try. (i.e. scared of heart attack, go run on a treadmill for awhile). Helped a decent amount but was not the only thing my psych did with me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yes, it's the standard in OCD treatment unless more comprehensive CBT is needed.

There are various types of exposure therapy. ERP is the one that is used a lot these days with early forms that used "flooding" being seen as less effective. ERP means having a hierarchy of least worst to worst to work through aimed at elimination through habituation.

It can work and to an extent all anxiety recovery includes exposure anyway otherwise we would remain highly restricted in our lives.

I've used ERP in my recovery. It's hard work and takes time. But it's only a tool in the toolbox and other techniques have helped too. Mindfulness being one of them and that helped me with exposures too as it was teaching me about my thoughts and how to ground myself which I find useful in preventing the need to flee when symptoms came during exposures.

Which form have they suggested?

So I found this therapist because of his use of CBT, after his initial interview with me asking a million questions he sent me on my way. The next session he sat there and gave me his interpretation of anxiety, what it is, etc. He likened the exposure therapy to a little girl who is afraid of a dog. So my homework this week is to make a list of “what if’s”. And he said he would make a recording for me to listen to over and over again. I left a bit confused and feeling like it was a cookie cutter approach to my specific issue. So here I am wondering if this is the right therapist for me or should I find someone new. I thought therapy would be getting to know me a bit more and trying to figure out what specific techniques would help ME. Maybe I’m overthinking?

Sometimes the therapist isn't a good match for the patient, but how do you know if the technique works for you or doesn't work for you if you haven't tried it yet?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

True but in just 2 sessions this guy has me figured out? I’m 58 and have been dealing with this since I was in my 20’s. Either he is incredibly good at reading people or he uses the same approach on everyone that falls into a specific category. I will give it a try but really wanted to see if this technique has been helpful for others along the way

Thread Information