Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Therapy not working

Red face Therapy not working

So far it’s not working.

I said I was anxious and had to switch a movie off and put classical music on she said that’s fine as it relaxes me I said no the anxiety beat me and I was annoyed I missed the movie. Now I go back to other methods I use which involves eliminating anxiety. Also when I had therapy when I was 16 which was over a decade ago the person was very helpful and said I should try and go to cinema not let anxiety win and I even took a little card in my wallet to stay in the situation as I use to run to the toilet.

She said you can’t eliminate anxiety yet in the past I have. I don’t mean if a bear jumped out you wouldn’t panic I mean having unwanted anxiety and panic.

Yes it’s helpful to talk about it but I’m paying good money for it. So far I’ve seen little improvement in my ocd unwanted thoughts or anxiety. I will asses it after another session or two however I believe I won’t be beating anxiety until I’m ready. It comes and goes and therapy doesn’t seem to have much effect.

Re: Therapy not working

I don’t know about not beating anxiety until you’re ready - nobody wants to feel like this. But I do believe that you have to put lots of work into it. It’s a hard realisation that you are the one that needs to put in the work, there’s no fast and easy way to zap it.

Don’t give up therapy, but maybe look for a therapist that suits you? If you don’t like her way, then either tell her or find someone who you do like. You are paying her after all.

But also, it is fine to not finish watching a film if you feel anxious. It takes time to learn the ways to relax yourself quickly enough to continue. So really she’s just telling you to not be so hard on yourself, by being annoyed about it, you’re just adding to the anxiety. Let it go, move on. Watch it again another time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning I tried CBT earlier this year unfortunately it didn't work for me,the cost was £60 per week almost broke me but I stuck with the course.that's not to say it doesn't work for someone else,I am still constantly light headed and it is difficult to sometimes going out but I still do,I guess you have to accept how you feel and take it with you,enjoy your day my friend.

You cannot eliminate anxiety, or avoid situations that trigger anxiety.

The best method to beat anxiety is to simply accept it. It's one of the oddest paradoxes, but accepting it and learning to just sit with it eventually stop it being a problem any more.

Anxiety isn't a fear of a certain situation, it's a fear of itself.

Leaving a movie to relieve yourself from anxiety is completely fine. Forcing yourself through the movie and forcing yourself to confront your anxiety is also completely fine (this one works for me). Everyone copes with anxiety differently and has a different method that works for them in overcoming the anxiety. What has worked for you in the past, may not work now. (I was originally an avoider)

Anxiety cannot be eliminated because it is part of being human. However it is possible to control your anxiety with a lot of continuous effort on your own part. Daily exercises, making healthy choices, being aware of your thoughts, and changing your outlook. Now, that doesn't mean that it can't be triggered after years of being panic-free. This is the case for everyone that has an anxiety disorder. In order to "overcome" it, you have to accept it and understand you may always have this problem, or it may go away. But this is how it is right now.

Sometimes therapy doesn't work. Generally when one type of therapy doesn't work, you should search for therapists that take a different approach. Or that you have a better connection with. One of the biggest aspects of healing is having a good therapist that understands your anxiety and consistently working towards your wellness goals.

I find the main reason therapy doesn't work (which is in my own personal experience) Is that you know why the anxiety is happening, you know all of the right coping mechanisms and what you need to do (yanno, after years of being in the mental health system, you kinda understand all this stuff), but you are not using them correctly, efficiently, or enough times for them to truly be effective in treating your anxiety. Consistently looking for reassurance and someone else to solve your problems for you, or denying the true existence of your anxiety and why it is there in the first place.

Phil not knowing how your therapist is working with you I cant comment, but would say are they over loading you with to much stuff all at once, do you feel overwhelmed by it all?
    Lets take a small bit of your OCD 'The Contanimation Issue' was reading your thread about replacing the letter box on your house and maybe a door. Logically now really think about this what's going to happen if you don't replace the door and the letter box (at this point you think both are contaminated) I understand the strive for perfection but sadly it's a imperfect world we live in It's a 2 way street working with a therapist so if you don't understand something what the therapist is saying then speak up and ask questions, so you both on the same page. Your OCD is badly ingrained Phil it's took root in your head and you need to cut those roots away now. ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Phil not knowing how your therapist is working with you I cant comment, but would say are they over loading you with to much stuff all at once, do you feel overwhelmed by it all?
    Lets take a small bit of your OCD 'The Contanimation Issue' was reading your thread about replacing the letter box on your house and maybe a door. Logically now really think about this what's going to happen if you don't replace the door and the letter box (at this point you think both are contaminated) I understand the strive for perfection but sadly it's a imperfect world we live in It's a 2 way street working with a therapist so if you don't understand something what the therapist is saying then speak up and ask questions, so you both on the same page. Your OCD is badly ingrained Phil it's took root in your head and you need to cut those roots away now. ATB
    Yes I feel in a terrible situation my partner feels I’m at my worst right now

Not too much information she is quite patient and slow with information. I just feel the sessions are going too fast and I can’t afford more frequent sessions I wish I could. My ocd is so extreme I would use the final amount of savings to replace the door if I could but I’m obviously going to consult my theripst before I do this.

The ocd is causing me anxiety at night so that’s an issue too. Since it’s so intense. Yes the ocd has to me mild hand washing and checking but the ocd has become more extreme moving house has made it ten times worse as I want more perfection to avoid wanting to move again..I feel desperate and it feels there is no help from me and going to work or a holiday is my only escape.

My theripst says is it about “me” protecting me and she thinks is perfectionism. She wants me to find another way of finding that relaxed feeling without replacing stuff. Blocked toilets germs and wash baskets are my biggest issues I wish somebody could find a way to help me not fear these? If the fear was gone all the worries I had would also be gone. I believe it’s the germs that come from a blocked toilet and dirty washing that’s causing me my problems.

I have no idea why is these particular worries I wish I had answers but it goes back to the days when I blocked toilets and my mum took dripping bags of water through the house and also the washing issue comes from when I came out the shower and wiped my backside that made me develop a fear of dirty washing these ideas became imbedded into my mind and then I developed an urge to rebuy stuff from all this..the issue is in the past perhaps my therapist can work on a this?

I got a book via letter box today I touched fridge and doors and fear everything is dirty so surely a new door would have been easier instead it will be a new house I need again

Posted this in June since had almost six sessions and my ocd is worse not better.

What else can I try?

You could try not expecting it to work in six sessions. There is no quick fix.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information